Last Update: February, 2022
To All Recent TUJ Graduates and Graduands:
TUJ is planning to hold this year’s commencement ceremony on Friday May 20, 2022 at Hitomi Memorial Hall.
TUJ students who completed their degree requirements at the end of the Summer or Fall 2021 academic term are eligible to participate, as are students who are currently enrolled and expect to earn their degrees in Spring 2022.
Eligible terms for regular participants:
- Summer 2021
- Fall 2021
- Spring 2022
Additionally, recent TUJ graduates who missed the December 2020 or the June 2021 Commencement ceremony due to COVID-19 travel restrictions or other difficulties are welcome to join. To participate under this category, a graduate must have earned their degree in one of the following six semesters:
- Summer 2019
- Fall 2019
- Spring 2020
- Summer 2020
- Fall 2020
- Spring 2021
Because the situation with COVID-19 is still fluid, we will make a final determination based on prevailing health conditions and government guidelines in early April if the 2022 commencement will go forward as planned.
TUJ expects social distancing rules to be in effect resulting in changes to the usual format and a scaled down event compared to prior ceremonies. Travel restrictions may also prevent recent TUJ graduates who are not currently resident in Japan from returning to participate.
Important Next Steps:
- Keep your email active. Recent TUJ graduates should keep their TUJ email accounts active in order to receive further updates about commencement. TUJ email accounts are active only for one year after completing your degree unless you take active steps to maintain your account. Please see the following link for details and instructions: TU Alumni Email Accounts
- The official invitation will be mailed to your TU mail account in early March. Check the details there and register to attend the ceremony as well as ordering the regalia, which is required to wear at the stage.
- Check for Updates: Updates on Commencement will be posted here on the TUJ Commencement webpage, and on the special 2022 commencement webpage.
- Communicate with TUJ. Please direct any comments or questions to the Commencement Team at email@example.com.
The TUJ Commencement Team
Eligible graduates will receive registration information and other details about commencement by email 3-4 months in advance of the ceremony. Check your TUmail regularly for updates.
Eligibility to Graduate
Undergraduate students who are nearing the completion of their academic degree requirements must apply to graduate one semester in advance of the completion of their degree requirements. Students should apply two semesters in advance if they are taking the summer semester off and plan to complete their degree requirements at the end of the following fall term. Refer to the Academic Calendar for all application deadlines.
Apply to Graduate
Follow the steps below:
- In TUportal, select the Student Tools Tab
- Under Records (right side), select Apply to Graduate
- Continue the application process until you come to the application submission confirmation
If you are earning a certificate in addition to your degree (not minors or double majors), you must apply separately for your certificate following the steps above.
If the declared major/minor/certificate shown is incorrect, please inform the Academic Advising Center (AAC) immediately and do not submit your graduation application until it has been corrected.
To determine that you are on track for graduation you should schedule an appointment with an academic advisor at AAC to review your progress and anticipated date of completion, as well as all requirements and deadlines.
Review the Graduation Checklist for other steps you may need to take.
Note that the Application to Graduate above is separate and distinct from the annual commencement ceremony. The ceremony requires a separate registration form to participate. Details are below.
Participating in the Annual Commencement (Graduation) Ceremony in June.
Who is Eligible?
- Undergraduate students who successfully complete their degree requirements in the three academic terms immediately preceding the scheduled commencement date are eligible to participate in the ceremony. This includes students who received their diplomas in either August (summer graduates) or December (fall graduates) of the preceding year, and those students completing their coursework in May (spring graduates) in the month immediately preceding the June commencement ceremony.
Undergraduate students who do not belong to the categories described above may submit a Petition for Non-Graduates to Attend the University Commencement. Refer to the Graduation Procedure or contact the Academic Advising Center.
If you have any questions regarding your eligibility to take part in the June ceremony, contact the Academic Advising Center.
TUJ organizes a formal commencement ceremony once each year, usually on the third or fourth Friday in May. This is the continuation of the Commencement of Temple University, which starts in Philadelphia in early May.
The venue is announced in the official invitation and is posted on the graduation ceremony website after the invitation is mailed. TUJ has held its ceremony at Hitomi Memorial Hall on the campus of Showa Women’s University since 2020.
What do graduates wear?
Graduates must dress in academic regalia (cap, gown, and academic hood*). The vendor offers a special price for TUJ graduates. Further information can be found in the invitation and website.
* An academic hood is not required for AA degree graduates.
How long does the ceremony last?
The graduation ceremony is approximately two hours, typically 19:00 to 21:00 with graduates also attending a photo shoot after the ceremony.
Do graduates need an admission ticket?
There is no admission ticket. Eligible graduates will receive an official invitation email from TUJ, and need to register online.
May I bring guests?
Each eligible graduate may bring two guests. Seating for guests is available on a first come, first served basis.
TUJ will broadcast the graduation ceremony live online. On-demand viewing is available on the TUJ website after the ceremony.