As you can imagine, there are cultural differences when dealing with mental health matters here in Japan. One big difference is the protocol around the legal use of psychotropic medications. In order to prevent potential problems for new students when they get to Japan, here are guidelines and Q & A regarding psychotropic medications. Note that certain types of psychotropic medication cannot legally be transported into Japan, nor can they be prescribed for you in Japan.

Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare: Information for those who are bringing medicines for personal use into Japan (

For more information, directly contact the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare: or call country code +81-48-601-1336.

Counseling Office

More In This Section