Changing from Temporary Visitor Status

Anyone who is not a Japanese national and wishes to take classes at TUJ for more than three months will need to acquire a Japanese student visa through TUJ. Students cannot apply for a Japanese student visa independently of TUJ.

Switching your status from visitor to student while currently in Japan is not recommended by TUJ or Japanese Immigration.

The temporary visitor status does not cover the original purpose of your stay in Japan, and granting the college student visa is solely at the discretion of the Japanese Immigration Bureau. TUJ does not have any influence or control over this process.

If new students attempted to switch their visa status from temporary visitor status to student visa and it is denied by Japanese Immigration, you would have to leave Japan before your temporary visitor status expires. TUJ therefore strongly encourages you to take care of your visa matters before entering Japan.

If you are already in Japan on a temporary visitor visa, you will be expected to leave Japan in order to apply for your student visa and then re-enter Japan on a student visa. Please refer to the Visa Application Process and Documents for more information on applying for a student visa.