Last update: January, 2024
TUJ awards merit scholarships every semester to incoming degree-seeking students with demonstrated academic excellence and other exceptional qualifications. Prospective students who complete an application for admission by the scholarship eligibility deadline and select ‘yes’ to the merit scholarship question on the admissions application form will be considered for the following scholarships.
Available to all applicants
|50% of full-time (12-18 credits) tuition for the first two consecutive semesters (summer and fall or fall and spring). Renewable at 100% of full-time (12-18 credits) tuition for up to six additional full-time consecutive semesters (fall and spring only) contingent on maintaining a 3.2 GPA at TUJ. Only awarded to students starting in summer or fall semester.
|50% of full-time (12-18 credits) tuition for two consecutive semesters contingent on maintaining a 3.0 GPA at TUJ.
|One-time award of the discounted matriculation fee.
Available to applicants residing or domiciled in Japan
|Tomorrow HOPE-TUJ Scholarship Program
¥600,000 per annum up to a maximum of six years. An additional ¥100,000 upon matriculation and ¥100,000 upon graduation will be awarded.
Please write your application statement titled “Tomorrow HOPE – TUJ Scholarship Statement” and E-mail to email@example.com .
Available to applicants starting on the Bridge Program
Application Procedure for Merit Scholarships
|How to Submit
|Admissions Application (all items) - required
|Complete your Admissions Application by the scholarship eligibility deadline and select ‘yes’ to the question ‘Are you interested in being considered for a merit scholarship?' on the admissions application form. There is no separate application form for merit scholarships.
|Letters of Recommendation - required
Must be sent directly from the counselor/ teacher to TUJ. There is no separate form.
|(Optional) Scholarship essay
Prompt: How will receiving a scholarship assist you at TUJ?
Scholarship Eligibility Deadlines
Diamond Scholarship for Summer or Fall Entry Students:
All Other Scholarships:
|Those seeking a student visa through TUJ
|Those not seeking a student visa through TUJ
Scholarship award announcements are made about a month after the Scholarship Eligibility Deadline. The student visa application does not need to be completed by the Scholarship Eligibility Deadline.
Scholarship recipients must meet the following criteria:
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher at TUJ (3.2 or higher for Diamond Scholarship recipients)
- Remain enrolled at TUJ on a full-time (12-18 credits) basis in fall and spring semesters (9 credits in summer semester)
- Use the award in consecutive semesters.
- Students starting at TUJ in the spring semester may use their award in the spring and summer semesters if they are full-time students in both semesters (at least 12 credits in the spring and at least 9 credits in the summer), or
- Students may use their award in the spring and fall semesters if they (1) do not take classes over the summer or (2) take classes only part-time (less than 9 credits) in the summer.
- After the first two consecutive semesters, Diamond Scholarship recipients may use the remainder of their scholarship in fall and spring semesters only.
- Merit scholarships awarded by TUJ are only applicable at the Japan campus. Diamond scholarship awardees will have their scholarship paused if they study at another Temple campus and can have it reinstated once they return to the Japan campus subject to meeting the scholarship criteria.
Students may apply for continuing student scholarships after completing 12 credits at TUJ.
No student will be given a TUJ scholarship which would result in an award or payment in excess of 100% of tuition and fees (not including housing). If, subsequent to an award of a TUJ scholarship but prior to payment, other scholarships, stipends, or grants are offered to a student, the amount of the TUJ award will be reduced accordingly.