To enter Japan, foreign nationality students whose residence is outside of Japan must apply for a “Certificate of Eligibility” (COE) issued by the Japanese Immigration Bureau.
Visa Application Process
- Submit the required documents by the visa application deadline
- TUJ submits the visa application on your behalf to the Immigration Bureau
- The COE is issued (expect 6-8 weeks)
- TUJ receives the COE, and issues you the Advance Payment Invoice
- Settle the invoice
- TUJ confirms your payment and sends the COE via express mail to you overseas
- Go to a Japanese Embassy/Consulate with your COE, a seal of landing verification will be stamped in your passport
- A residence card will be issued on arrival at the airport
- Your visa application will be submitted near the visa application deadline
- You may enter Japan 14 days before the first day of New Students Welcome Week
Visa application deadline
|Semester of Admission||Visa Application Open Date||Visa Application deadline|
|Fall||February 1 (JST)||May 1 (JST)|
|Spring||July 1 (JST)||October 1 (JST)|
|Summer||November 15 (JST)||February 15 (JST)|
*Should the deadline fall on a weekend or Japanese holiday, the deadline will be the next business day
*Dates are subject to change
Prepare the following items and upload them to the visa application portal by the deadline.
- All documents must be in either English or Japanese
If you have any questions, contact email@example.com.