Last update: January 2019

Generally, Temple accepts academic, college-level courses beyond the developmental level completed with a grade C or better, from schools in the United States with regional accreditation (Middle States, Northwest, North Central, Southern, Western, and the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges). Temple does not award credit for courses from institutions accredited by the Commission on Technical and Career Institutions of the New England Association or from any university, college, school, institute, or program accredited only by a national, professional, or specialized accrediting body. Temple does not give transfer credit for courses in which a student has earned less than a C grade, ungraded coursework, courses from institutions lacking accreditation (or the equivalent), ESL classes, and certain vocational coursework, and gives credit for graded distance learning coursework only from programs accredited by the appropriate U.S. regional accrediting body. Schools outside of the United States must be accredited as an institution of higher education by the country's ministry of education (or equivalent) in order for transcripts to be evaluated for transfer credit.

Credit is only awarded in academic subjects with a corresponding Temple department. Duplicate credit in the same course is not awarded in any case. Whenever possible, credit is allowed for courses completed more than 10 years before the date of admission. Courses evaluated for transfer from colleges and universities with different credit systems (e.g. quarter hours, units, etc.) are converted to semester hours (i.e., 2 quarter hour credits are equivalent to 1.2 semester hour credits; 3 quarter hour credits are equivalent to 1.8 semester hour credits; 4 quarter hour credits are equivalent to 2.4 semester hour credits).

Evaluation of transfer credits is based on a student's major. The student's school/college at Temple makes the final determination of which transfer credits are applicable to the student's degree program. Transfer evaluations may change for students who change majors or if additional transcripts or score reports are received. There is an expectation that final transcripts from previously attended institutions be received prior to the start of the student's second semester.

Initial evaluation of transfer credits is made in TUJ Admissions Office. A credit transfer evaluation is provided to new degree-seeking students along with their letter of acceptance. Non-degree-seeking students, including Bridge Program students and other degree-seeking students who are conditionally admitted on non-degree-seeking basis, do not receive a credit transfer evaluation until they are officially admitted to a degree program. Transcripts will not be reviewed for transferable credit before a student has been accepted to TUJ. Re-evaluation of credits will be handled by the Academic Advising Center in consultation with the other appropriate offices including Temple Main Campus, according to standard Temple policies and procedures.

To earn a degree from Temple, students must complete all university requirements and fulfill all of the degree requirements of the Temple school or college in which they are enrolled, as approved by the dean of that school and the Academic Residency Requirement in Academic Policies.

To graduate from Temple with Honors, students must complete at least 60 hours toward their degrees in residence as matriculated students at Temple University. See Dean's List and Graduation (Latin) Honors in Academic Policies.

Credit for Prior Learning, including Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, College Level Examination Program (CLEP) credits, and courses taken as a non-matriculated student at Temple, are posted on a student's record as transfer credit, but do not always count as transfer credits for determining a student's eligibility for the 45+ Transfer GenEd. See General Education Transfer Program in General Education.

The number of credits that students can transfer from another institution (two- and four-year) depends on their declared Temple major. In order for college-level studio art courses to transfer as equivalent art credits at Temple, students must submit course syllabi and a coursework portfolio to TUJ Art Program when they start at TUJ.