Areas of Expertise
Greek and Latin; Classics
Green and Roman language, literature, and culture
Roman Philosophy, Classical Reception, Latin Pedagogy
- Lectiones Memorabiles, Volume III. Selections from Caesar, Catullus, Horace, Livy, Ovid, and Vergil. Commentary with M. Colakis. Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers. 2018.
- Lectiones Memorabiles, Volume II. Selections from Horace, Lucretius, Seneca, Suetonius, and Tacitus. Commentary. Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers. 2015.
Journal Articles and Book Chapters (Peer Reviewed):
- “The Institution as Learner: Challenging the Metaphor of Debt in Higher Education.” With Nicholas J. Shudak. In Leadership Strategies for Promoting Social Responsibility in Higher Education. Emerald Publishing 2020. 161-174.
- “Towards a Practice of Stoic Pragmatism.” With Steven A. Miller. The Pluralist 10.2 (2015): 150-171.
- “Onomastic Irony in Fronto's Letters Ad M. Caesarem 1.7, 2.5, 2.13, and 3.18.” Classical Quarterly 65.2 (2015): 301-309.
- “The Correspondence of Fronto and Marcus Aurelius: Love, Letters, and Metaphor.”Classical Antiquity 32.2 (2013): 406-438.
- “Liminal Women in Fronto’s Letters.” Classical Journal 108.4 (2013): 419-445.
- “A Liar’s Yarn: Storytelling in The Lost Books of the Odyssey.” New Voices in Classical Reception Studies 7 (2012).
- “(Be)coming Home(r): Nostalgia in Jean-Luc Godard’s Contempt.” Arethusa 45.2 (2012): 243-258.
- “Classroom as Text: What Genres Do We Teach In?” Teaching Classical Languages 2.2 (2011): 69-80.
- “The referendum Conundrum: Referenda or Referendums?” With J. Tobin Grant. PS: Political Science and Politics 44.3 (2011): 563-564.
- “Quintilian, Seneca, imitatio: Re-reading Institutio Oratoria 10.1.125-31.” Arethusa 44.1 (2011): 122-136.
- Ph.D. Classics, The Ohio State University
- M.A. Classics, The Ohio State University
- B.A. Classics, Grinnell College
- Dean of the School of Arts & Humanities and Director of Honors and Interdisciplinary Studies, Wayne State College (2017-2021)
- Chair of the Department of Languages, Cultures, and International Trade, Southern Illinois University Carbondale (2015-2017)
- Associate Professor of Classics, Southern Illinois University Carbondale (2013-2017)
- Assistant Professor of Classics, Southern Illinois University Carbondale (2007-2013)
- Visiting Instructor of Classics, Kenyon College (2006-2007)
- Editor, Teaching Classical Languages journal, published by the Classical Association of the Middle West and South, 2019-2024
- Executive Committee, Classical Association of the Middle West and South, 2019-2024
- Executive Subcommittee on Publications, Classical Association of the Middle West and South, 2019-2024
- Member, Society for Classical Studies