Part-time Work Permission

Students on a student visa may apply for work permission (Shikakugai katsudo kyoka) - "Permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted."

Regulations and Limitations

International students can get permission to work only when they are enrolled in classes and only when it is clear that working is not adversely affecting their studies. If you are not enrolled in classes in the current semester, you are not permitted to work and you must leave Japan for the entire semester you are on academic leave; this includes summer semester. After you obtain work permission, you may work up to 28 hours per week during the semester and up to 40 hours (8 hours a day) during the semester breaks provided that you are registered for the following semester.

The application process usually takes about three weeks, but it may take longer depending on the Immigration Bureau's workload. The work permit is a sticker placed in your passport and a stamp placed on the back side of your Residence Card. Your employer may request a copy for his/her records. The same work permit can be used in different work places and is valid for the duration of your landing permission. The working permission expires on the same day as your period of stay on your Residence Card. TAs, RAs and student workers with jobs on campus under a direct contract with TUJ do not require a work permit.

Newly Admitted Students

Part-time work permission can be obtained at the airport or port of entry to those students who are entering Japan for the first time and who are granted the “Student Visa” status. If you would like to hold an off-campus part-time job in Japan (including a paid internship), you are encouraged to obtain the work permit at the airport. Otherwise, you will need to make several trips to the Immigration Bureau and wait for several weeks while they process your work permit. The work permit is valid only while you are enrolled in classes at TUJ. From the time you arrive in Japan until the time school starts, you are not allowed to work as you do not have enrollment at the school yet.

Prohibited Places of Employment

Students must not engage in any work related to the adult entertainment industry including, but not limited to, night clubs, hostess clubs, pachinko parlors, adult-entertainment internet businesses, escort services, and telephone-based dating services. More specifically, you must not DJ, work as a doorman/bouncer, create video/films for nightclubs, or engage in ANY work activity, even dish-washing, at a bar or nightclub. It is strictly prohibited.

Freelance Jobs

You are permitted to do freelance work; however, you are permitted to work only for a maximum of 28 hours per week during the semester and 8 hours per day/40 hours a week during the semester breaks. You will need to be able to prove that you are working within the guidelines if the Immigration Bureau or the university asks.

Important Note

If you engage in an activity not authorized by a "College Student" status, you may be subject to punishment up to and including deportation. Anyone who knowingly employs such a person is also punished for violating the Immigration Control Act. All misconduct regarding work-related incidents will be recorded by the Office of Student Services. TUJ does not have the power to intervene on any misconduct that is reported. If you violate any of the regulations, you must face the consequences on your own. Your visa violations will be also referred to the university's General Counsel's Office for disciplinary action as a violation of the Student Code of Conduct. Sanctions may include probation, suspension and expulsion. If you are wondering whether the part-time job you will apply for is appropriate for a student visa holder, please contact the visa coordinator (

Application Procedure

  1. Visit the Immigration Bureau and submit these documents:
    • "Application for permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted" form:
    • Residence Card or Alien Registration Card
    • Copy of your passport showing a) your personal information and b) "Landing Permission" stamp
    • Your original passport
  2. Pick up the permit at the Immigration Bureau: Immigration will send you a postcard notifying you that your permit is ready. Take the postcard along with your Residence Card and passport to Immigration to get your permit
  3. Give a copy of your work permit to your employer.