Last Update: December 2016
Virginia Anami (Adjunct Faculty of Asian Studies)
- "Ennin Jikaku Daishi: a First Rate Internationalist." Tendai Buddhist Sect of Tochigi Prefecture Bi-annual Meeting. Mibumachi Town Hall. Nov. 2014.
- "Ennin's Diary Sheds Light on 9th c. East Asian Cultural Exchange." International Ladies Association of Buddhism. Kodosan, Yokohama. Nov. 2014.
James Brown (Associate Professor of Political Science)
- "Russian Foreign and Security Policy - Old and New Trends." British International Studies Conference. Dublin, Ireland. June 2014.
- "'Hajime': A New Start in Russian-Japanese Relations." The Asiatic Society of Japan, Young Scholars' Programme 2013. Tokyo, Japan. November 2013.
Ron Carr (Associate Professor of Communications, Film and Media Art)
- "The Impact of Multi-Media Journalism in Asia" Michigan State University, Asian Studies Department. Michigan, USA. December 1, 2010.
- Global Lives: Filmmakers' Forum; iCommons-ISummit. Sapporo, Japan. July 2008.
Matthew Chozick (Adjunct Faculty of Freshman Writing Program)
- "Sushi Dinners in Mark Twain's Connecticut Home with Lady Murasaki: How the English Translation of The Tale of Genji Helped Canonize It in Japan." Translation and Comparative Cultural Studies: East and West in Dialogue. University of London. April 2014.
- "Unmasking Cultural Hybridity in National Literatures: A Case Study Spanning 1925 to 1941 on the ‘Reverse-Importation' of Lady Mursaki's Tale of Genji after Its English Translation." Key Cultural Texts in Translation conference. University of Leicester. May 2014.
Marielle Gorissen-van Eenige (Adjunct Professor Psychological Studies)
- With Sizoo, B., van den Brink, W., & van der Gaag, R. J. "O-55 - Characteristics of substance use disorders in adults with autism or ADHD." European Psychiatry, vol. 27, issue 1, 2012.
Beryl Hawkins (Adjunct Faculty of Communications)
- "Framing the Pre-Olympic News Coverage of Tokyo 2020: A Comparative Analysis of Tokyo's Successful Bid and the Olympic Stadium Design." The Inaugural IAFOR International Conference on Japan & Japan Studies. Kobe, Japan. June, 2016.
- With Barry Natusch. "Museums as Facilitators of Transnational Cross-cultural Understanding." The Second Annual Conference on Global Higher Education at Lakeland College Japan. June, 2015.
- With Barry Natusch. "Archivists to Activists: The Evolving Role of Museum Educators." The Fifth Asian Conference on Cultural Studies. Kobe, Japan. May, 2015.
- With Barry Natusch. "A Corpus Stylistics News Story Analysis of a Japan-China Faceoff: The Senkaku-Diaoyu Territorial Dispute." The Fifth Annual Asian Conference on Media and Mass Communication. Osaka, Japan. Nov. 2014.
- With Barry Natusch. "Mapping Narrative Trajectories in Documentary Films." The Fourth Annual Asian Conference on Film and Documentary. Osaka, Japan. Nov. 2013.
- With Barry Natusch. "Japan's "Abenomics." Media Coverage: The Converging Relationship between Print and Social Media." The Fourth Annual Asian Conference on Media and Mass Communication. Osaka, Japan. Nov. 2013.
- "Developing an ESL Discussion Course by using the Radio Talk Show Format." CAMTESOL Annual International Conference. Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Feb. 2011.
- "Using the Television Talk Show Format to Develop an ESL Discussion Course." Thailand TESOL Annual International Conference. Bangkok, Jan. 2010.
Sachiko Horiguchi (Assistant Professor of Anthropology, Asian Studies)
- "Diversifying Anthropological Knowledge on East Asia in Teaching Practice: Advantages and Challenges of Attempts for an 'Interactive Anthropology' in Japan." Society for East Asian Anthropology, American Anthropological Association, Hong Kong Conference 2016. The Chinese University of Hong Kong. Hong Kong, China. June 2016.
- "日本を通して自己を見つめる―JETプログラムをきっかけに来日した外国人日本研究者の語りをめぐって (Reflecting on the Self through Engagement with Japan: An Analysis of Narratives of Foreign Japan Scholars Who Set Foot on Japan as JET Programme Participants)." Japanese Society of Cultural Anthropology 50th Annual Meeting. Nanzan University. Nagoya, Japan. May 2016.
- "Mobilizing Family Dynamics for Recovery: Hikikomori (Youth Social Withdrawal) and the Japanese Family." Contemporary Japan: Family in Transition Symposium. Waseda University. Tokyo, Japan. Jan. 2016.
- "Towards an Understanding of Globalized Landscapes in East Asian Higher Education: How JET-alumni 'White' Academics Reflect on Lived Experiences in Japan." East Asian Anthropological Association (EAAA) and Taiwan Society for Anthropology and Ethnology (TSAE) 2015 Joint Annual Meeting. National Chengchi University. Taipei, Taiwan. Oct. 2015.
- "The JET Programme and its Impact on Careers in Japanese Studies: A Case Study of JET-alumni Japan Scholars based in Japan." BAJS Annual Conference 2015. School of Oriental and African Studies. London, U.K. Sept. 2015.
- "Making sense of the borderlands of culture and psychiatry: Anthropological approaches to everyday experiences of hikikomori (youth social withdrawal) in contemporary Japan." 5th World Congress of Asian Psychiatry, Kyushu University School of Medicine. Fukuoka, Japan. March 2015.
- "Wanted, yet marginalized: how JET-alumni scholars based in Japan make sense of their career paths." Anthropology of Japan in Japan (AJJ) Autumn Meeting, Nanzan University. Nagoya, Japan. Nov. 2014.
- "Bridging anthropological studies of Japan in Japan and abroad: attempts from the margin" The first JASCA (Japanese Society of Cultural Anthropology) symposium on internationalization of anthropology in Japan amid attempts to promote overseas dissemination of Japan's academic information, Hosei University. Tokyo, Japan. Nov. 2014.
- "Hikikomori (youth social withdrawal) and ideals of masculinities in Japan." 14th International Conference of European Association for Japanese Studies (EAJS), University of Ljubljana, Slovenia. Aug. 2014.
- "Reimagining Masculinities in Contemporary Japan: How Marginalized Men Seek Happiness and Well-Being." 14th EAJS International Conference. Ljubljana, Slovenia. Aug. 2014.
- "When Anthropologists Collide: Self-Reflexive Dialogues Between a 'Native' and a 'Foreign' Anthropologist." JASCA 50th Anniversary Conference and IUAES Inter-Congress 2014 Joint Convention. Chiba, Japan. May 2014.
- "Youth Social Withdrawal and Japanese Personhood: How Hikikomori Tōjisha (Self-labelled Hikikomori) Negotiate Their Autonomy and Social Norms." Éloge des singularités dans le Japon contemporain (In Praise of Singularities in Japan), INALCO. France. December 2013.
- "The Roles of JET Alumni in Scholarship on Japan: A Preliminary Study." Anthropology of Japan in Japan (AJJ) Autumn Meeting. International Christian University. Tokyo, Japan. November 2013.
- "Towards an Understanding of Being a ‘Mature' Male in Japan: An Anthropological Perspective into the ‘Problem' of Hikikomori (Youth Social Withdrawal)." 17th World Congress of the IUAES (International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences). University of Manchester, UK. August 2013.
- "Shifting Conceptualizations of the ‘Mixed Race' and Identities in Japan: Media Discourses and Individual Narratives." The 8th International Convention for Asia Scholars (ICAS). Macao. June 2013.
- "Medicalization of Youth Social Withdrawal: Anthropological Perspectives on Hikikomori in Japan." Health Cultures and Tribal Communities: Emerging Research Agenda and Policy Shift. University of Hyderabad, India. January 2013.
Tin Tin Htun (Adjunct Faculty of Psychological Studies and Asian Studies)
- "Ethnic Minority Research in Japanese (Social) Psychology." The 79th Annual Convention of the Japanese Psychological Association. Nagoya, Japan. Sept. 2015.
Masaki Kakizaki (Assistant Professor of Political Science)
- "民主主義に対する市民意識と宗教の役割―トルコの事例 (Popular Attitudes toward Democracy and the Role of Religion: The Case of Turkey)." Annual Meeting of the Contemporary Islamic Studies Group at Toyo Bunko. Tokyo, Japan. March, 2014.
- "大統領選挙後のトルコ情勢 (Turkey After the Presidential Election)." JIME Center, the Institute of Energy Economics. Tokyo, Japan. Sept. 2014.
- "New Agendas for Turkish Studies." A New Horizon of the Middle Eastern Studies Special Session. The 30th Annual Meeting of the Japan Association of Middle East Studies. Japan. May 2014.
- "トルコの政治情勢――内政と外交におけるエルドアン政権の戦略 (The Political Situation of Turkey: The Domestic and International Relation Policies of the Erdoğan Government)." 日本エネルギー経済研究所中東研究センター主催情勢分析報告会 (Nihon Energy Keizai Kenkyu-sho Chutou Kenkyu Center Shusai Jousei Bunseki Houkoku-kai). Tokyo, Japan. December 2013.
Jeff Kingston (Director and Professor of Asian Studies)
- "Asia in 1946." Association of Asian Studies in Asia-Kyoto. 2016.
- "Japan's National Identity Crisis and Reactionary Nationalism." Association of Asian Studies. Seattle, Washington. 2016.
- "Risk and Consequences: The Changing Japanese Employment Paradigm." British Association of Japanese Studies. London. 2015.
- "Risk and Consequences: The Changing Japanese Employment Paradigm." Australian Association of Japanese Studies. Melbourne. 2015.
- "Downsizing Fukushima: Nuclear Energy Politics in Japan." Association of Asian Studies Conference. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. May 2014.
- "Navigating Policits and Energy Policy in Post-Fukushima Japan." AAS in Asia. Singapore. 2014.
- "The Politics of Fukushima." Auckland University Conference on Post-Fukushima Japan. Auckland, New Zealand. September 2013.
- "Nationalism and National Identity Regarding the Senkaku Islands." ICAS Conference. Macau. June 2013.
Ian Lynam (Adjunct Faculty of Art)
- "There's Chocolate in my Peanut Butter." School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Chicago, Illinois. 2016.
- "How the Olympics fits into the history of Japanese graphic design." Society of Typographic Arts. Chicago, Illinois. 2016.
- "Heft, Gravy & Swing." Chicago Design Museum / ÄKTA. Chicago, Illinois. 2016.
- "There's Chocolate in my Peanut Butter." VCFA MFA in Graphic Design program. Montpelier, Vermont. 2016.
- "The Tokyo Olympics' Visual Identity & Japanese Graphic Design." Institute for Contemporary Asian Studies, Temple University Japan. Tokyo, Japan. 2016.
- "There's Chocolate in my Peanut Butter." VCFA Visual Art program. Montpelier, Vermont. 2016.
- "Tokyo, We Have a Problem." Connecticut Art Directors Club & University of Hartford. Hartford, Connecticut. 2016.
- "The Winners and Losers of History: The Emergence of Graphic Design in Japan." Rutgers University. Rutgers, New Jersey. 2016.
- "There's Chocolate in my Peanut Butter." Tyler School of Art, Temple University. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. 2016.
- "Unprofessional Practice." York College of Pennsylvania. York, Pennsylvania. 2016.
- "There's Chocolate in my Peanut Butter." York College of Pennsylvania. York, Pennsylvania. 2016.
- "20 Steps to Working in Japan." Made in Japan Conference. Vilnius, Lithuania. 2015.
- "Type and You. And Me. And Them. And You." General Assembly. San Francisco, California. 2015.
- "Feral Design." Vermont College of Fine Art. Montpelier, Vermont. 2015.
- "Choose Your Own Adventure." Vermont College of Fine Art. Montpelier, Vermont. 2015.
- "Documentation: The Anti-Thesis." Vermont College of Fine Art. Montpelier, Vermont. 2015.
- "Things I Don't Usually Talk About." IDEO Japan. Tokyo, Japan. 2015.
- "Modernity Inc." University of Colorado at Denver. Tokyo, Japan. 2015.
- "Road Trip!" Society of Childrens Book Writers and Illustrators Japan. Tokyo, Japan. 2015.
- "Dead Man Walking: The Life and Times of Barney Bubbles." Vermont College of Fine Art. Montpelier, Vermont. 2015.
- "How Do They Do It?" Vermont College of Fine Art. Montpelier, Vermont. 2015.
- "An Introduction." Temple University. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. 2015.
- "The Basics and Not-Basics of Graphic Design?" The American School in Japan. Tokyo, Japan. 2015.
- "Starting Down." Ride the Lightning. Tokyo, Japan. 2015.
- "Parting It Out." PechaKucha Night, Tokyo, Japan. 2015.
Max Maquito (Adjunct Faculty of Economics)
- "Nihon no Kyouyuu Gata Seichou DNA no Tsuiseki --Kaihatsu Shikin no Shiten Kara (Tracking Japan's Shared Growth DNA--from a developmental finance perspective)." 15th Japan-Korea Future Forum. Tokyo International Forum. Feb. 2016.
- "Shared Growth Lessons from Japan (No. 1 of a Series)." SGRA 16th Sustainable Shared Growth Seminar. College of Engineering, University of the Philippines, Diliman. Aug. 2014.
- "Downstream Integrated Radicular Import-Substitution." SGRA 16th Sustainable Shared Growth Seminar. College of Engineering, University of the Philippines, Dilman. Aug. 2014.
- "The DIRI Model: A Model from Negros" 2nd International Symposium "Environmental-Friendly Agriculture Based on Community Resources: A Strategy for Sustainable Development and Biodiversity.'" College of Arts and Sciences, University of Tokyo. March, 2013.
- "Patterns in Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) Flows: In Search of the Giant Leap and Small Step (GLASS) Effect." Submitted to Prof. Tran Van Tho. Jan. 2013.
- With Thu-Ha Trinh. "Changing So as Not To Change: A Review of Japanese-Firm-Bank Relationships." 3rd Rikkyo International Business Studies Symposium. May, 2010.
- "Mega Toushi Manira ni Okeru Kankyouteki ni Jisoku Kanou na Koutsu he no Chouzen: EDSA wo Chuushin ni (Challenging Environmentally Sustainable Transportation in Mega City Manila: Focus on EDSA)." Proceedings of the 38th SGRA Forum. Tateshina, Japan. July 3, 2010. SGRA Report No. 55. Dec. 2010.
Yuka Matsuhashi (Adjunct Faculty of Japanese)
- With Misuzu Kazama. "Japanese Language Class Writing Project --- Making a useful life style magazine for exchange students." Southwest Conference on Language Teaching 2016. Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel. Kuhio, Honolulu, Hawaii. March 2016.
- With Kiyomi Fujii, Jim Elwood, Brent Wright, Yasuo Uotate & Baron Orr. "Social Learning Leveraging the Power SNS in Language Education." 20th Pan Pacific Association of Applied Linguistics Conference. Korea University. Seoul, South Korea. Dec. 2015.
- With Kiyomi Fujii, Brent Wright & Yasuo Uotate. "Facebook exchange between Japanese and American college students: Creating meaningful language learning environments outside the classroom." Japanese Language Education Methods (JLEM) Conference. Doshisha University, Kyoto. Sept. 2015.
- With Kiyomi Fujii, Jim Elwood, Brent Wright & Yasuo Uotate. "Guiding students towards autonomous learning: from blogs to Facebook." 2015 JALTCALL Conference. Kyushu Sangyo University, Fukuoka. June 2015.
- With Kiyomi Fujii, Jim Elwood, Brent Wright, Yasuo Uotate & Baron Orr. "Communication Across Borders: Using Maps and Blogs." 40th Annual International Conference of the Japan Association for Language Teaching. Tsukuba International Congress Center. Tsukuba, Japan. Nov. 2014.
John Mock (Adjunct Faculty of Asian Studies)
- "Smart City – Stupid Countryside: Part II--Impact of the Imbalance of the Urban/Rural Educational Rift in Japan." Anthropology of Japan in Japan conference. Tohoku University. April, 2016.
- "Of Bears and Bureaucrats: Depopulation of Humans and Repopulation of Bears in Central Akita." Anthropology of Japan in Japan Annual Meeting. Nanzan University. Nagoya Japan, Nov. 2014.
- "'Anti'-tourism, conflicts with changing land use and nature conservation in northern Japan." IUAES/JASCA International Congress. Chiba, Japan. May, 2014.
Mariko Nagai (Associate Professor of Japanese Literature and Creative Writing, Director of Research)
- "Japan Delegate." Asian Festival of Children's Content. Singapore. May 2016.
- "Concentration Camp USA." AWP. Los Angeles. March 2016.
- "Poetry in Asia." The Philippines Book Council. Manila. July 2015.
- "Verse Novels for Younger Readers." Association of Writers Program Annual Conference. Minneapolis, Minnesota. April 2015.
- "Meet the Author." Tokyo American Club. Nov. 2014.
- "Body of Empire." 2014 NWSA Annual Conference: Feminist Transgressions. San Juan, Puerto Rico. Nov. 2014.
- "Translating Culture." Plymouth University. Plymouth University, Japan. Plymouth, UK. Oct. 2014.
- "Poetry for Children in Asia: A Lifelong Love for Reading." Asian Festivals' Children Content. Singapore. June 2014.
- "Home and Not Home: Poetries of/in a Changing Japan." Association of Writers Program Annual Conference. Seattle, Washington. February 2014.
- "A Third Perspective From a Voyeur of the Vietnam War: Takeshi Kaiko's Kagayakeru Yami (Into a Black Sun)." Studies on Vietnamese and Japanese Literature in The Globalization Context of the 21st Century. University of Social Sciences and Humanities. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. December 2013.
- "Writing Poetry: Teaching and Practice". Invited Speaker. Department of English, University of Social Sciences and Humanities. University of Social Sciences and Humanities. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. December 2013.
- "Teaching and Writing Poetry." Reaching the World 2013 - Asia Pacific Writers & Translators Conference. The Faculty of Arts, Chulalongkorn University. Bangkok, Thailand. October 2013.
Sharon Randall (Professor of Law)
- "Tide Change or Tsunami? - Corporate Governance Movements in the US and Japan." Roppongi Bar Association Speaking Event. ANA Intercontinental Hotel, Tokyo, Japan. Sept. 2015.
Lee Roser (Assistant Professor of Religion)
- "The Self-Relating Mind: Way and Barrier to Spiritual Fulfillment." Institute of Cross Cultural Studies and Academic Exchange Conference. Kolkata, India. Jan. 2016.
Junko Saito (Assistant Professor of Japanese)
- "Sarariiman (Salarymen) and the Performance of Masculinities at Business Meetings in Japan." The 9th International Gender and Language Association Conference. City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong. June 2016.
- "Intra-sentential Language Alternation: An Analysis of Interactions in a Foreign Corporation in Japan." The 14th International Pragmatics Conference. The University of Antwerp, Belgium. July 2015.
- "The Use of English in Japanese Speech: Evidence from Native Speakers of Japanese in a Foreign Company in Japan." Sociolinguistics of Globalization, 2015.
- "英語交じりの日本語－外資系企業における会議についての一考察 (Japanese Peppered with English Words: An Observation on Meetings at Foreign Affiliated Companies)." Roundtable for Workplace Discourse in Japan, 2014.
- "外資系企業における日本人従業員のコードスイッチング―モノレクタルな視点から―" (The 'Monolectal View' of Language Alternation: An Analysis of Business Meetings in a Foreign Corporation in Japan)." The Japanese Association of Sociolinguistic Sciences, 2014.
- "The ‘Monolectal View' of Language Alternation: An Analysis of Business Meetings in a Foreign Corporation in Japan." The 16th Japanese Society for Language Science. Bunkyo University, Tokyo, Japan. June 2014.
Dariusz Skowronski (Adjunct Faculty of Psychological Studies)
- "Celibacy Syndrome and Sexless Marriages in Japan – Culture Specific Phenomena." The 13th Asia-Oceania Federation of Sexology Conference, Brisbane, Australia. Oct. 2014.
- "Sexual Satisfaction and Dissatisfaction in Japanese-Western Marriages." The 13th Asia-Oceania Federation of Sexology Conference, Brisbane, Australia. Oct. 2014.
Michael Williams (Assistant Professor of African-American Studies)
- "The Gilliam Family - An African American Legacy of Community Service and Philanthropy." Black Doctoral Network Conference. 2013.
Asako Yamaguchi (Assistant Professor of Japanese)
- "Shuukatsu (Job-hunting in Japan): How we can help foreign students to find jobs in Japan." Sophia University, 13 Oct. 2015. NYU School of Professional Studies American Language, 16 Oct. 2015.
Yuko Yamamiya (Adjunct Faculty of Psychological Studies)
- "Psychometric properties and validation of the Sociocultural Attitudes Towards Appearance Questionnaire-4 (SATAQ-4) with a sample of Japanese Adolescent Girls." Academic for Eating Disorders International Conference on Eating Disorders, 2015.
- "An Exploration of Appearance-Related Pressures, Appearance Ideal Internalization, and Muscularity Concerns Among Adolescent Boys in Japan and India." Academic for Eating Disorders International Conference on Eating Disorders, 2015.