Dear TUJ community:
Last night, we were contacted by local health authorities about two TUJ students who have tested positive for COVID-19. We have now determined that one student was last on campus about one week ago, and the other was last on campus on Monday night. Both have minimal or no symptoms. However, they have been asked by health authorities to quarantine.
Please read the important information below:
- The Health Center has not asked us to do anything with respect to the student’s classes or campus generally aside from additional cleaning, which we have done. Additionally, we are double checking the situation through our own contact tracing process. In any event that any concerns arise, we will keep the campus community apprised.
- The infected students attended only two in-person classes shortly before their positive tests. The Health Center has determined that the professors and students in these two classes are not close contacts.
- In a classroom setting where the students are wearing masks and practicing social distancing, research shows that the spread of COVID is hindered significantly especially where there is ventilation in the room.
- The professors and students in these classes have been notified about the situation. Out of an abundance of caution, these two classes will be held online for the next week.
Although the risk to the campus community appears to be low in this instance, we do want to be extra cautious.
In addition, to keep our campus community healthy, we appreciate your diligence in observing COVID-prevention protocols. This includes:
- Ensuring the adequate ventilation of classrooms (cracked windows/open doors)
- Following social distancing recommendations
- Wearing masks
- Washing hands regularly
- Not coming to school when you feel ill.
- Promptly notifying our Information Center (firstname.lastname@example.org or 03-5441-9800) if it is determined that you have contracted COVID-19, show COVID-like symptoms, or have been deemed to be a close contact by local health officials.
As a reminder, our COVID protocols can be accessed in the TU Portal. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in these matters.