Here is a follow up with more specific information as to what the Stage 1 opening on Monday will look like.
Fundamentally, it will be the same essential-use only conditions as were in place before the campus was completely shut down at the end of March but with the entry protocol as detailed below.
Students, faculty and staff will be allowed to enter the building, but only if there is a real need. Any faculty or staff entering must get approval and also inform Facilities. During this period, we plan to open the building from 8:00 to 20:00 from Monday to Friday.
Initially, IC and Facilities will be open for students, with OSS opening from June 8th, but will only be open from 9:00am to 5:30pm. All other offices will be closed until further notice.
Only the following uses will be allowed for students:
- The 1st floor cafeteria will be open for students who need it for study and wifi access. Parliament Student Lounge will be closed. There will be limited space, so we have asked them to study from home if they can effectively do so.
- The 5th floor open Computer Lab (501) will be open and one Help Desk staff will be available.
- IC, Facilities, and OSS offices (June 8) will be open for students. All other offices will be closed.
This stage will likely continue for a few weeks or longer as we monitor the situation and as the Tokyo Metropolitan Government begins to further loosen emergency restrictions. If there is a reversal in the situation, we have to be ready to go back to the lockdown, but if things continue to improve, and the TMG allows it, then we will continue to relax restrictions on the use of the campus.
In order to enter the building, all staff, faculty and students will be required to:
- Undergo a temperature check upon entering the building via a hand held device or temperature sensing camera. If your temperature is over 37.5 degrees, entry to the building will not be permitted.
- Have their TUid card scanned so that we can track who has entered the building.
- Wear a mask. You cannot enter without a mask, and you must continue to wear your mask at all times when inside the building.
- Sanitize hands when entering the building.
- Maintain social distancing inside the building (including in all offices and other rooms).
- There will be a guardsman on duty throughout the day.
- Those offices that expect student foot traffic will have protective plastic barriers.
Remember, please do not come to school if you feel ill, and please report your illness as we have been doing.
It is great to think about getting back to normal, but of course it will be a long time before we get back to what was normal at the beginning of the spring semester. We will be taking it cautiously through the summer semester, and I’ll be getting back to you periodically on longer range terms for further opening stages.
In the meantime, thank you again for all the very difficult but excellent work you’ve been doing, and I look forward to the day when we are all, safely, back on campus.