As many of you may know, Prime Minister Abe has announced the relaxation of the emergency decree measures, and Tokyo will enter into the first stage of reopening. Universities are included in that first stage.
It is great that we can now begin to plan for our own reopening. However, as much as we all want to get back to campus, we do not want to rush our return. Therefore, we are planning to begin our Stage 1 reopening from Monday June 1st.
During this week we will be making final preparations for TUJ’s Stage 1 reopening. This week we will allow a very small number of students on campus to use wifi under strict protocols.
It is great to think about getting back to normal, but of course it will be a long time before we get back to what was normal at the beginning of the spring semester. We will be taking it cautiously through the summer semester, and I’ll be getting back to you during this week on longer range terms for further opening stages.
In the meantime, I thank you once again for all that you have been doing during this long period of working online and look forward to that day when we are all, safely, back on campus.
<Stage 1 Procedures>
During the initial, “Stage 1” period, faculty and staff will be allowed to enter the building, but only if there is a real need. Any faculty or staff entering must get approval. During this period, we plan to open the building from 8:00 to 20:00 from Monday to Friday.
In order to enter the building, all staff, faculty and students will be required to :
- Undergo a temperature check upon entering the building via a hand held device or temperature sensing camera. If your temperature is over 37.5 degrees, entry to the building will not be permitted.
- Have their TUid card scanned so that we can track who has entered the building.
- Wear a mask. You cannot enter without a mask, and you must continue to wear your mask at all times when inside the building.
- Sanitize hands when they enter the building.
- Maintain social distancing inside the building (including in all offices and other rooms).