Undergraduate Program Scholarships
Last update: April, 2021
TUJ awards merit scholarships every semester to incoming degree-seeking students with demonstrated academic excellence and other exceptional qualifications. Prospective students who complete an application for admission by the scholarship eligibility deadline and check the applicable box on the admissions application form will be considered for the following scholarships.
|Diamond Scholarship||50% of full-time (12-18 credits) tuition for the first two consecutive semesters (summer and fall or fall and spring). Renewable at 100% of full-time (12-18 credits) tuition for up to six additional full-time consecutive semesters (fall and spring only) contingent on maintaining a 3.2 GPA at TUJ. Only awarded to students starting in summer or fall semester.|
|Dean's Scholarship||50% of full-time (12-18 credits) tuition for two consecutive semesters contingent on maintaining a 3.0 GPA at TUJ.|
|TUJ Scholarship||One-time award of the discounted matriculation fee.|
Applicants from TUJ-affiliated schools in the United States, DoDEA schools in Japan, and language schools in Japan may be eligible for additional scholarships. Please contact Admissions Counseling for details.
Application Procedure for Merit Scholarships
|Items||Notes||How to Submit|
|Admissions Application (all items) - required||Complete your Admissions Application by the scholarship eligibility deadline and check the applicable box on the admissions application form. There is no separate application form for merit scholarships.||
|Letters of Recommendation - required||
|(Optional) Scholarship essay||
|(Optional) Resume/ C.V.||
|(Optional) Additional documents||
Scholarship Eligibility Deadlines
Diamond Scholarship for Summer or Fall Entry Students:
October 15 of the year prior to entry.
All Other Scholarships:
|Those seeking a student visa through TUJ||Those not seeking a student visa through TUJ|
|Fall Admission||March 1||June 1|
|Spring Admission||September 1||September 1|
|Summer Admission||December 1||March 1|
Scholarship award announcements are made about a month after the Scholarship Eligibility Deadline. The student visa application does not need to be completed by the Scholarship Eligibility Deadline.
Scholarship recipients must meet the following criteria:
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher at TUJ (3.2 or higher for Diamond Scholarship recipients)
- Remain enrolled at TUJ on a full-time (12-18 credits) basis in fall and spring semesters (9 credits in summer semester)
- Use the award in consecutive semesters.
- Students starting at TUJ in the spring semester may use their award in the spring and summer semesters provided that they are full-time students in both semesters (at least 12 credits in the spring and at least 9 credits in the summer), or
- Students may use their award in the spring and fall semesters if they (1) do not take classes over the summer or (2) take classes only part-time (less than 9 credits) in the summer.
- After the first two consecutive semesters, Diamond Scholarship recipients may use the remainder of their scholarship in fall and spring semesters only.
Students may apply for current student scholarships after completing 12 credits at TUJ.
No student will be given a TUJ scholarship which would result in an award or payment in excess of 100% of tuition and fees (not including housing). If, subsequent to an award of a TUJ scholarship but prior to payment, other scholarships, stipends, or grants are offered to a student, the amount of the TUJ award will be reduced accordingly.