Last update: August 2018
The following qualifications represent the minimum criteria for admission. Meeting the qualifications does not guarantee admission.
A. Completion of High School (Secondary School) or Equivalent
- Have graduated or will graduate from an accredited secondary or high school, or
- Have completed or will complete an IB diploma or GCE A Level program, or
- Possess a GED (General Education Development) certificate, Kosotsu Nintei Shiken (formerly Daiken), or its equivalent. (Applicants are recommended to apply with at least 15 college-level semester credits to strengthen their application.)
Note: GED applicants are required to submit transcripts from all schools attended since the start of high school, in addition to the official GED transcript.
B. Minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA)
- Applicants seeking a student visa through TUJ: 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Applicants NOT seeking a student visa through TUJ: 2.0 on a 4.0 scale (or 3.0 on a 5.0 scale)
C. Test Score Requirement
For Native English Speakers - SAT or ACT Score
Applicants who fall under one of the following categories may be eligible for a waiver of the SAT or ACT requirement:
- U.S. applicants who are 22 years of age or older are automatically waived.
- Applicants who completed all schooling in the UK, Ireland, Canada (except Quebec), Australia or New Zealand.
- Applicants with 15 or more college-level semester credits (excludes ESL courses and vocational courses).
For Non-native English Speakers - TOEFL, IELTS or PTE Score
Minimum score from a test taken no earlier than two years before the date of application to TUJ:
- TOEFL: PBT 550 / iBT 79, or
- IELTS (Academic): 6.0, or
- PTE (Academic): 53
For applicants with TOEFL iBT score 53 - less than 79
(TOEFL PBT from 475 to less than 550, IELTS 5.0 or 5.5, or PTE from 40 to less than 53)
Those applicants may be conditionally admitted to the TUJ Undergraduate Program as a participant in the Bridge Program. Please see the page below for details.
For Applicants with TOEFL iBT score less than 53
(TOEFL PBT score less than 475, IELTS score less than 5.0, or PTE score less than 40)
TUJ offers the Academic English Program (AEP) for applicants who do not meet the required English skill level of the Undergraduate Program including the Bridge Program. It is also suitable for those who wish to develop academic skills required for American universities. Please visit the AEP website for details.
TOEFL, IELTS or PTE Waivers
Applicants who fall under one of the following categories may be eligible for a waiver of the TOEFL, IELTS or PTE requirement:
- Applicants with 15 or more college-level semester credits at a U.S. accredited college or university including English Composition with a grade of C or above (excludes ESL courses and vocational courses).
- Applicants with an SAT or ACT score.
- Applications for TOEFL, IELTS or PTE waivers must be submitted within two years of attending a prior institution.
- Contact Admissions Counseling to confirm eligibility for waivers.
Institutional TOEFL (ITP)
TUJ conducts institutional TOEFL (ITP) exams in Tokyo and Osaka. The scores are equivalent to the TOEFL Paper-based test (PBT), and are valid only in an application to TUJ. Please see below for the exam dates and registration details.