The following qualifications represent the minimum criteria for admission. Meeting the qualifications does not guarantee admission.
A. Completion of High School (Secondary School) or Equivalent
- Have graduated or will graduate from an accredited secondary or high school, or
- Have completed or will complete an IB diploma or GCE A Level program, or
- Possess a GED (General Education Development) certificate, Kosotsu Nintei Shiken (formerly Daiken), or its equivalent. (Applicants are recommended to apply with at least 15 college-level semester credits to strengthen their application.)
Note: GED applicants are required to submit transcripts from all schools attended since the start of high school, in addition to the official GED transcript.
B. Minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA)
- Applicants seeking a student visa through TUJ: 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Applicants NOT seeking a student visa through TUJ: 2.0 on a 4.0 scale (or 3.0 on a 5.0 scale)
C. Test Score Requirement
For Native English Speakers - SAT or ACT Score - Optional
We’re a test-optional school. If you believe an SAT or ACT score would complement your application, you should submit your scores. Standardized test scores are otherwise entirely optional and in no way required for admission.
For Non-native English Speakers - TOEFL, IELTS PTE, or DUOLINGO Score
Minimum score from a test taken no earlier than two years before the date of application to TUJ:
- TOEFL: PBT 550 / iBT 79, or
- IELTS (Academic): 6.0, or
- PTE (Academic): 53
- DUOLINGO: 110
*TUJ is unable to accept scores from TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition and IELTS Indicator.
For applicants with TOEFL iBT score 53 - less than 79
(TOEFL PBT from 475 to less than 550, IELTS 5.0 or 5.5, or PTE from 40 to less than 53, or DUOLINGO 90-105)
Those applicants may be conditionally admitted to the TUJ Undergraduate Program as a participant in the Bridge Program. Please see the page below for details.
- Applications for TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, or DUOLINGO waivers must be submitted within two years of attending a prior institution.
- Contact Admissions Counseling to confirm eligibility for waivers.
Last update: February 2021