The following qualifications represent the minimum criteria for admission. Meeting the qualifications does not guarantee admission.
A. Completion of High School (Secondary School) or Equivalent
- Have graduated or will graduate from an accredited secondary or high school, or
- Have completed or will complete an IB diploma or GCE A Level program, or
- Possess a GED (General Education Development) certificate, Kosotsu Nintei Shiken (formerly Daiken), or its equivalent. (Applicants are recommended to apply with at least 15 college-level semester credits to strengthen their application.)
Note: GED applicants are required to submit transcripts from all schools attended since the start of high school, in addition to the official GED transcript.
B. Minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA)
- Applicants seeking a student visa through TUJ: 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Applicants NOT seeking a student visa through TUJ: 2.0 on a 4.0 scale (or 3.0 on a 5.0 scale)
C. Test Score Requirement
For Native English Speakers - SAT or ACT Score - Optional
We’re a test-optional school. If you believe an SAT or ACT score would complement your application, you should submit your scores. Standardized test scores are otherwise entirely optional and in no way required for admission.
For Non-native English Speakers - English language proficiency test scores
Minimum score from a test taken no earlier than two years before the date of application to TUJ:
- TOEFL (incl. Home Edition): iBT 79, or
- TOEFL Essentials: 8.5, or
- IELTS (Academic): 6.0, or
- PTE (Academic): 53, or
- DUOLINGO: 110, or
- iTEP Academic-Plus: 3.9, or
- Cambridge C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency: 180
For applicants with TOEFL iBT score 53 - less than 79
(TOEFL Essentials 7.0-8.0, IELTS 5.0 or 5.5, PTE from 40 to less than 53, or DUOLINGO 90-105)
Those applicants may be conditionally admitted to the TUJ Undergraduate Program as a participant in the Bridge Program. Please see the page below for details.
- Applications for English language proficiency test score waivers must be submitted within two years of attending a prior institution.
- TUJ is unable to accept IELTS Indicator scores.
- A test score may still be required even if an applicant meets the waiver criteria. Contact Admissions Counseling to confirm waiver eligibility.
For admissions questions...
- Office Hours:
- Weekdays 9:00-17:30 (Japan Time)
Last update: March 2022