Admission Application Requirements
All of the following items must be received by 5:00 pm, Japan Standard Time, on the application deadline. Items postmarked by the deadline but arriving late will not be considered on time. All documents not in English must be professionally translated. Submit the original document and the translation together with a letter of verification from the translator or a notarization attesting to the accuracy of the translation. Documents will not be returned. Prospective students are encouraged to complete their application for admission well in advance of the deadline.
Use this checklist to confirm you have all the documents required to complete your admission application.
For Degree-seeking Students:
Applicants to the Bridge Program will also need to submit all the required documents below.
1. Admission Application Form
Please complete one of the following:
2. Typed, Personal Statement in English
The personal statement is a chance for applicants to introduce themselves; discuss their interest in TUJ; describe long-term personal, academic or career goals; or share any other information pertaining to academic goals that the applicant would like the Admissions Office to consider. The statement should be 250-400 words.
The statement text should be typed or pasted into the relevant field on the application form. If not possible, it may be submitted by e-mail (PDF or Word Document).
3. Official Standardized Test Results
For Native English Speakers
One of the following examinations:
For Non-native English Speakers
One of the following examinations taken no earlier than two years before the date of application to TUJ:
4. Official High School and College Transcripts in English
Submit official transcripts from all high schools, universities, and colleges attended and, if necessary, English translations by a certified translator. Transcripts must be issued by the school in sealed school stationery envelopes and sent by postal mail, or a TUJ-approved digital transcript service. Students may have their institutions send digital transcripts through one of the following services:
- Diploma Sender (GED)
- Joint Services Transcript
- National Student Clearinghouse
Current high school students may submit an interim high school transcript. Students who have a GED must submit an official GED transcript and a copy of their GED diploma.
- Students with 30 or more college-level semester credits taken after high school graduation are not required to submit high school transcripts.
- If a student has previously studied in Japan (language school, credit program, etc.), even under a tourist visa, an official academic transcript, attendance record and letter of activity completion will be required for the student visa application regardless of whether it is required for the admissions application or not.
- If confirmation of high school or college graduation is required, further documents may be requested for review.
5. Non-refundable Application Fee of ¥10,300
The non-refundable application fee is ¥10,300. If you are from a TUJ-affiliated school, the application fee is waived.
Within one month of admission to TUJ, applicants are required to pay a ¥36,000 non-refundable Admission Fee. This fee confirms intention to enroll and secures a place at TUJ. Instructions on how to pay the admission fee will be sent along with the admissions decision. For students accepted for Spring 2020 onward, the ¥36,000 Admission Fee will be replaced with a mandatory ¥36,000 Orientation Fee to be paid as part of the Advance Payment (visa-needed students) or as part of the first tuition invoice (non-visa-needed students)
Prospective students applying for a Japanese student visa through TUJ must pay a visa application fee of ¥20,600 as a part of the Advance Payment.
Student Visa Application (For Non-Japanese Applicants Only)
Non-Japanese applicants who do not have a resident, diplomatic or dependent visa must submit a visa application form and all supporting documents by the student visa application deadline.
Send all documents to:
Temple University, Japan Campus Admissions Counseling Office
2-8-12 Minami Azabu, Minato-ku, Tokyo 106-0047, Japan
- Weekdays 9:00-17:30 (Japan Time)