Use this checklist to confirm you have all the documents required to complete your admission application
All of the following items must be received by 5:00 pm, Japan Standard Time, on the application deadline. Items postmarked by the deadline but arriving late will not be considered on time. All documents not in English must be professionally translated. Submit the original document and the translation together with a letter of verification from the translator or a notarization attesting to the accuracy of the translation. Documents will not be returned. Prospective students are encouraged to complete their application for admission well in advance of the deadline. First-year (freshman) students applying for fall semester can apply directly to TUJ or through The Common Application.
For Degree-seeking Students:
Applicants to the Bridge Program will also need to submit all the required documents below.
2. Typed, Personal Statement in English
The personal statement is a chance for applicants to introduce themselves; discuss their interest in TUJ; describe long-term personal, academic or career goals; or share any other information pertaining to academic goals that the applicant would like the Admissions Office to consider. The statement should be 250-400 words.
The Personal Statement text should be typed or pasted into the relevant field on the online application form.
We are a test-optional school. If you believe an SAT or ACT score would complement your application, you should submit your scores from one of the following examinations:
One of the following examinations taken no earlier than two years before the date of application to TUJ:
- TOEFL: Order an official score report using TUJ's school code (9698). For more information on the TOEFL examination, visit www.ets.org/toefl/
- IELTS: E-mail a copy of your score report to email@example.com
- PTE: Order an official score report to be sent to the Japan Campus listed under Temple University. For more information on PTE, visit www.pearsonpte.com
- DUOLINGO: Order an official score report to be sent to Temple University, Japan Campus. For more information on DUOLINGO, visit www.englishtest.duolingo.com
- ITEP Academic Plus: Order an official score report to be sent to TUJ. For more information on ITEP visit https://www.itepexam.com/
- Cambridge C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency: Order an official score report to be sent to TUJ. For more information on Cambridge visit https://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams-and-tests/
4. Official High School and College Transcripts in English
Submit official transcripts from all high schools, universities, colleges, and attended including any study abroad programs and, if necessary, English translations by a certified translator. Transcripts must be issued by the school in sealed school stationery envelopes and sent by postal mail, or a TUJ-approved digital transcript service. Students may have their institutions send digital transcripts through one of the many official services including:
- Scrip-Safe International
- DiplomaSender.com (GED)
- Joint Service Transcript
- National Student Clearinghouse
- TranscriptsPlus +
- Scribbles Software
Current high school students may submit an interim high school transcript. Students who have a GED must submit an official GED transcript and a copy of their GED diploma.
- If Temple University, Japan Campus is not listed in one of the above digital services, select the “NOT IN LIST” option and manually add the recipient email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Students with 30 or more college-level semester credits taken after high school graduation are not required to submit high school transcripts.
- If a student has previously studied in Japan (language school, credit program, etc.), even under a tourist visa, an official academic transcript, attendance record and letter of activity completion will be required for the student visa application regardless of whether it is required for the admissions application or not.
- If confirmation of high school or college graduation is required, further documents may be requested for review.
5. Non-refundable Application Fee of ¥10,500
The non-refundable application fee is ¥10,500. If you are from a TUJ-affiliated school, the application fee is waived.
Prospective students applying for a Japanese student visa through TUJ must pay a visa application fee of ¥20,900 as a part of the Advance Payment.