Areas of Expertise
Political Science, International Relations.
In 2015, Ken Moskowitz completed a 30-year career as a Foreign Service Officer at the U.S. State Department as an inspector in the Office of the Inspector General. His overseas postings, where he specialized in press and cultural work, included the U.S. embassies in Sofia, Budapest, Kyiv, and Tokyo, where he was the American Center Director. He has taught cultural diplomacy at the State Department’s Foreign Service Institute, served as an APSA Congressional Fellow for Sen. James Jeffords and Rep. Nancy Pelosi, and attended SAIS/Johns Hopkins University. Outside the office, he has been volunteer Marketing Director for The Arlington Players, a community theatre. Prior to the Foreign Service, Moskowitz was a housing reporter for CD Publications and is the editor of The Greater Washington Area Bicycle Atlas. He speaks French, German, Japanese, Bulgarian, and some Russian and Ukrainian.
- Moskowitz, K. (December, 2022). Contemplating Kamakura, Kyoto Journal, KJ 103, pp. 175-76. https://www.kyotojournal.org/
- Moskowitz, K. (October, 2022). Did NATO Expansion Really Cause Putin’s Invasion? Foreign Service Journal. https://afsa.org/did-nato-expansion-really-cause-putins-invasion
- Moskowitz, K. (May, 2022). Was NATO Expansion Really the Cause of Putin’s Invasion? American Diplomacy. https://americandiplomacy.web.unc.edu/2022/05/was-nato-expansion-really-the-cause-of-putins-invasion/
- Moskowitz, K. (June 12, 2021). How Ancient Warriors Became Temple Guardians for Peace-Loving Buddhists, Japan Forward. https://japan-forward.com/hidden-wonders-of-japan-how-ancient-warriors-became-temple-guardians-for-peace-loving-buddhists/
- Moskowitz, K. (April 21, 2021). Ambassador to Japan Walter Mondale: An Appreciation, The Diplomat.
- Moskowitz, K. (April, 2021).What Makes an Effective Public Affairs Program? Lessons from ‘Tuk-Tam’ and a Career in Public Diplomacy. Foreign Service Journal.
- Moskowitz, K. (2021, February). How Do We Talk to Foreign Audiences After Trump’s Subversion? American Diplomacy. https://americandiplomacy.web.unc.edu/2021/02/how-do-we-talk-to-foreign-audiences-after-trumps-subversion/
- Moskowitz, K. (2020, August). Inspector General Steve Linick, a Deep State Conspirator? American Diplomacy. http://americandiplomacy.web.unc.edu/2020/08/inspector-general-steve-linick-a-deep-state-conspirator/
- Moskowitz, K. (2020, January 11). ISIS Leader Dies—and a Newspaper Obituary Takes a Bullet. Kyodo News.
- Ph. D. in Theatre Studies, National Academy for Theater and Film Arts, Bulgaria, 2012. Dissertation title: “Theatrical Adaptation in Bulgaria: Audience and Critical Reception of Three Recent American Productions.”
- American Political Science Association Foreign Affairs Fellow, SAIS, Johns Hopkins University, Sept. 1999-Jan. 2000.
- M.A. in Philosophy, Brown University, 1982. Awarded 1980 Garden State Graduate Fellowship.
- B.A. in History and English Literature, Swarthmore College, 1976.
Public Diplomacy Council