Deadlines for Matriculation
Check the Academic Calendar for deadlines of matriculation for each semester.
Applicants must meet all of the following requirements to matriculate.
- You have earned a four-year bachelor's degree from an accredited American or Japanese college or university (or you have earned an equivalent four-year degree from an accredited institution in another country). You should submit official transcripts, in English, from every college and university you have attended. Those documents must be mailed directly from the registrar's office of each of your previous universities to the TUJ Graduate Education Office. Foreign transcripts require a formal evaluation before an admission decision can be made. To expedite this process, you are strongly recommended to use the WES evaluation service (www.wes.org)
- You have earned a strong academic average in your university studies. Either you have earned a "B" average in an undergraduate degree program in English, English Education, or Linguistics, or you have taken two or three Temple Graduate College of Education courses and earned a 3.25 GPA or better.
- You are currently teaching English or another language, or you intend to make a career of such teaching.
- You have submitted scores from the necessary standardized tests. Native speakers of English must submit a GRE (Graduation Record Examination) or MAT (Miller Analogies Test) score that is no more than five years old. Non-native speakers of English must submit a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score than is no more than two years old. Please refer to the "Test Requirements" section for more information.
- You have submitted a letter of recommendation from a member of the graduate faculty at TUJ, or letters of recommendation from three people outside of Temple University.
- You have submitted the Application Form, including a personal statement of your professional plans and goals.
- You have paid the matriculation fee.
A baccalaureate degree or its equivalent, as recognized by Temple University, from an accredited post-secondary institution is required for admission. The minimum admission standard for all graduate students is an undergraduate grade-point average of "B" or 3.0, or the functional equivalent for students who have attended universities outside of the United States.
If you do not have a 3.0 undergraduate grade-point average, the Dean of the Graduate School considers exceptions to the admissions requirement if you meet one of the following criteria:
- You achieved a 3.25 cumulative grade-point average in at least 9 credits of graduate work at an accredited university in the United States or equivalent academic performance in a university outside the United States.
- You scored above the 65th percentile on the verbal and quantitative portions of the GRE (or MAT).
- You earned a 3.5 grade-point average during your final two years of undergraduate work.
Minimum Standards for International Graduate Study
Temple University assesses foreign degrees based on the characteristics of the national educational system, the type of institution attended, and the level of studies completed. The minimum level of study required for graduate admissions consideration varies depending on the country where your degree was granted. Students with non-U.S. or non-Japanese degrees are required to send their transcripts to World Education Services (WES).
For further information, please check their website.
Examination Requirements for Admission
The College also requires that native speakers of English take an examination such as the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT). The GRE and MAT must have been taken within the past 5 years or appear on your official Temple University record if you have been previously enrolled at Temple University.
For further information about the GRE, please check their website. The GRE is offered at various locations in Japan.
The MAT exam is not offered at the Test Center at TUJ Tokyo. For further information about the MAT, please check their website.
Minimum English Language Requirements
If you are not a native speaker of English, a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 90 (Internet-based test) or 575 (paper-based test) is required for matriculation. The paper-based institutional TOEFL exam (ITP) is offered at the Tokyo and Osaka Centers. Please see below for more information about ITP.
The iBT is available at various places in Japan. For more information, please visit the following website.