Apply for a New Student Visa

Application Deadline April 25

All non-Japanese students who intend to take classes and who do not have a resident, diplomatic, dependent, or spousal visa must acquire a Japanese student visa. Students cannot apply for a Japanese student visa independently of TUJ. Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the visa regulations.

Obtaining a student visa is a two-step process. First, TUJ must submit a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) application on behalf of all admitted students to the Japanese Immigration Bureau. Second, you must complete and submit a visa application to your local Japanese embassy or consulate .


Change your student Visa sponsorship to TUJ

You can change your visa sponsorship if you meet both conditions below:

  • The program at your current institution finishes within 3 months of the first day of the starting semester at TUJ, and
  • Your current student visa is valid for a month after the start of your first semester at TUJ.

Scenario 1: Residence card is valid for more than 3 months after TUJ starts
 Financial viability ¥2,000,000

Scenario 2: Residence card is valid for less than 3 months after TUJ starts
Financial viability ¥4,000,000

Process (Applicable for both Scenario 1 and 2): 


  • Once students graduate/withdraw from their current school, they are not allowed to work part-time until TUJ starts.


Changing from other Visa status

Please refer to the Undergraduate page for more information.

From SOFA Status: Changing from SOFA Status
From Other Visa Status: Changing from Other Visa Status


  • The process is the same as for undergraduate students. The only difference is the proof of financial viability. MiM program requires a total of 4,000,000 yen (or equivalent in foreign currency) or more.

  • Be either in Japanese or English.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact TUJ Visa Coordinator at 

More In This Section