Continuing Education : English-Placement Test (Online)
Saturday, December 16, 2023 - 10:00 to 12:00
- Session Style –
- Campus: Temple University, Japan Campus (Access)
- Online: via Zoom – The office will send you the zoom link by a day before the test. Prepare a quiet environment suitable for taking the test, with an audio device (computer recommended) and an internet connection.
- Test format: There are 5 sections (listening with 7 parts, speaking*, grammar, vocabulary, and reading with 5 parts) to answer in one hour, all in multiple-choice format. The test is only in English.
*Speaking section refers to questions to test your understanding dialogue. It is not an oral test.
- For Whom: People who are considering taking any TUJ Continuing Education course (including General English Courses, Speaking and Listening, Reading and Writing, and Test Preparation), and would like to gauge which courses would be most suitable for the English level.
English Level Chart
Please refer to the English Proficiency Chart for recommended English proficiency levels corresponding to General English courses.
If you are planning on taking the English-Language (General English Courses, Speaking and Listening, Reading and Writing, and Test Preparation) courses, or if you'd like to check your English proficiency before applying for the other courses, we strongly recommend that you take the English-placement test first.
After testing each area, the results will give you a better idea of your ability in several areas, including listening, reading and grammar. This will help in selecting the courses that will benefit you most. However, assessment scores are not the only important factor in selecting the course that is right for you. We recommend taking the following into consideration when selecting your course:
- English Level Check score
- If you are near the border between two levels, we recommend taking the higher level course. You may surprise yourself. If after the first week, you find the level too difficult you can easily switch to a lower level course.
- Strengths and weaknesses in reading, writing, speaking and listening
- English-Language (Speaking and Listening, Reading and Writing, and Test Preparation) courses offer intermediate and above students specialized study in one of these skills.
- Current and prior experience with English
- Are you working in a setting with many opportunities to use English? Did you live in an English speaking country in the past? Such experiences may accelerate your learning.
- Your goals
- Your motivation for studying English may have a strong influence on the best course for you. It is important to pick a level and focus that will keep you challenged and interested.
After receiving your score, you will have the chance to meet with a course advisor who can provide additional guidance on which option is best for achieving your goals.
Please fill out the form below and press "Send."