AEP High School
A program designed for high school students. The first step for anyone hoping to study abroad!
This course is designed for high school students who wish to improve their academic skills. Classes are held in English only.
2021 Summer Semester: Fluency & Accuracy
- Thursday, May 6 - Tuesday, July 20, 2021 (22 Classes)
- Application Deadline:
- Sunday, April 25, 2021
*We will stop accepting applications once all seats are filled.
*Depending on available space, we may accept applications after the deadline.
*Applications received outside of business hours will be processed the following business day.
*Please note that the schedule and the style of this course, whether it will be held online or on campus, are subject to change without notice (For example in response to national emergencies issued by the government).
- The application period has ended.
- 67,100 yen (Tax Included)
* Includes a total of 22 classes and usage fees for the Campus Library and Computer Lab.
- This class is meant for:
- High school students preparing to study at TUJ or at foreign English Speaking universities
- Returnee students from overseas and high school students who have studied abroad
- High school students preparing to go on to universities in Japan where classes are held in English
- 20 students
- Dates and Times:
- Tuesday and Thursday 18:30-20:30
- 2 classes a week (Total of 22 classes, 44 hours)
- A placement test will be held on the first day
- There will be a reception party on the last day of class
- Temple University, Japan Campus (Access7-minute walk from Sangen-jaya station, Tokyu Den-en-toshi Line)
- Online Course (Zoom)
- *Starting from Spring 2021, an online version of this course (22 times in total, all classes are online only) will be offered separately. This is specifically recommended for those who live outside of the Tokyo area.
*Please select "Online" on the application form when you register for this course.
- Apply here:
- Apply for this Course
If you have any questions or concerns about the class and would like some advice, please feel free to contact the Academic English Program at email@example.com. If you consider applying for TUJ Under graduate Program, please contact the Admissions Counseling at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are three different course focuses offered in this program (see below). A different course focus will be offered each semester, in turn.
The Content focus helps students to improve their English skills by studying academic topics such as those found in university General Education courses. The course has an overall theme, and each class deals with topics and issues from humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences related to the overall theme. Using and improving students' English skills through readings, discussions, and mini-research projects form the core of this course. Students can practice giving presentations and writing reports on the material studied in class. In addition, they can build the academic skills needed in their future studies at a university, such as note-taking, deep discussion, and quiz/exam-taking skills through class activities and assignments.
The Reading-based Writing (RBW) focus teaches students how to write academic essays. Academic writing requires analytical reading skills and critical thinking skills in addition to writing and language skills. Therefore, the writing assignments for this course are based on reading articles and other academic texts on various themes, rather than on personal knowledge and experience. Students' writing is evaluated based on reading skills, English language skills, and finally, actual writing skills. Students should expect to complete several short writings and one or two longer essays with a few drafts. Correct use of quotations and citations—using MLA style—will also be covered.
Fluency & Accuracy
The Fluency & Accuracy focus teaches students how to become more fluent and accurate when using English in both speaking and writing. For the fluency part, students will learn to discuss a particular issue objectively, while using supporting examples and evidence rather than just focusing on the use of correct language. For the accuracy part, students will learn to use correct grammar forms and to choose appropriate vocabulary which will help them more accureately express their opinions. In addition to discussions, short writings are assigned; this gives the opportunity for students to receive individual feedback on their writing from the instructor and to review basic academic writing skills that students have previously learned.
|May||6, 11, 13, 18, 20, 25, 27|
|June||1, 3, 8, 10, 15, 17, 22, 24, 29|
|July||1, 6, 8, 13, 15, 20|
- Once a week, students will be able to participate in an optional free online conversation session. During this session, students will talk (in English) with an undergraduate student currently studying at TUJ about anything that interests them.
- There will be an additional scheduled event for AEP High School students to talk with former AEP students about their university studies, experiences, and overall university lifestyle.
- During the semester, AEP will hold free workshops for high school students.
Steps to Attend the Program
Please follow the procedures below to attend the course.
1. Submit your application
Please apply through the online form by the specified deadline.
2. Receive the program details
Details regarding the tuition fee payment and the course guide will be sent to you via e-mail. The email serves as a notification that you are now officially enrolled in the course.
3. Pay the tuition fees
Please pay the tuition fees via a wire transfer to the specified bank account by the deadline.
4. Submit the documents by the first day of class
Submitting an Electronic signature on Adobe Sign
1. Click the URL of the email you received from AEP.
2. Check the required documents and sign on the signature line using some sort of electronic input.(ie Using a stylus, touchscreen, or mouse)
3. Click "Click to sign" to complete the signature.
By the first day of class, please scan or take a photo of the following documents and send them as attachments to email@example.com
- Confirmation slip from the wire transfer for the tuition fees
Please apply using the online application form, by phone, or in person at the university. Please feel free to contact us with any questions about course details or about the application process.
*Depending on space availability, we may accept applications even after the deadline has passed. Please submit the application form, and we will get back to you.
The application period has ended.
Note: Please be aware that courses cannot be offered in the event that there are insufficient applicants.