Areas of Expertise
Karl Neubert is an award-winning filmmaker whose expertise includes all aspects and genres of film and TV production, as well as film theory, the history of U.S. and Japanese cinema, event organization, subtitling and Japanese culture.
Neubert has taught entry, intermediate and advanced level film production courses, as well as special topic-based classes on subjects such as U.S. cinema, alternative cinema, music video and the portrayal of cis and transgender women in the media. He is also the director of Temple University Japan's Student Film Festival.
Neubert's specialty is the comparative analyses of political, economic, social and cultural influences and elements in film. His current research is focused on how transgender persons are portrayed in film and other mass media, in different cultures.
- First Assistant Director of Fukushima Mon Amour. Dir. Doris Doerrie. Perf. Kaori Momoi, Rosalie Thomass. Majestic, 2016. Film.
- Japanese Subtitle and Narration Supervisor of Germany From Above – The Movie. Dir. Petra Hoefer, Freddie Roeckenhaus. Universum Film, 2013. Film.
- German and English Script Supervisor and Casting of Ski Jumping Pairs: Road to Torino. Dir. Masaki Kobayashi. Perf. Antonio Inoki, Keijiro Shiga, Kazuyoshi Funaki. TV Man Union, 2006. Film.
- Co-Director and Producer of sur|FACE – 14 Contemporary Japanese Architects. Director: Roland Hagenberg, Karl Neubert. Uplink, 2003. Film.
- Writer and Associate Producer of Myunhen yori Ai wo Komete. Dir. Yuriko Okada. Perf. Josephine Jacob, Rainer Matsutani, Vincent Courtens, Cornelia Saborowski. NHK EDTV, 2001. TV Series.
- Line Producer of Sneaking In: Donald Richie's Life in Film. Dir. PRINZGAU/podgorschek. Navigator Film, 2001. Film.
- Line Producer of L+R (el and ar). Dir. Edgar Honetschlaeger. Perf. Yukika Kudo, Hideyo Amamoto, Toshimitsu Imai. Fischer Film, 2000. Film.
- Line Producer of Enlightenment Guaranteed. Dir. Doris Doerrie. Perf. Uwe Ochsenknecht, Gustav Peter Woehler. Megaherz TV Fernsehproduktion GmbH, 1999. Film.
- Director and Producer of The Turns of The Wheel. Perf. Tomorowo Taguchi, Dean Harrington, Nobu Kanaoka, Min Iwata. Angura Pictures, 1997. Short Film.
- M.F.A. in Imaging Arts and Sciences, Graduate School for Imaging Art and Sciences, Musashino Art University, Japan
- M.A. in Japanese Studies and Communication Sciences, Graduate School of Philosophy, Munich University (LMU), Germany
- PhD(c) in Film Studies, Graduate School of Art, Nihon University, Japan
- Diploma of Japanese Language Program for MEXT in Japanese Language and Culture, Department of Language and Culture Studies, Hokkaido University, Japan
- Directors' Guild of Japan