Areas of Expertise
Fine Arts (Painting & 2D Media)
Assistant Professor Sakurai currently teaches undergraduate art courses on 2 dimensional media, concentration on drawing & painting. He also teaches a major capstone course Art Seminar.
Sakurai's research surrounds topics on "identity" in contemporary culture, his art projects has been exhibited in both Japan and United States. In addition to his artist career, he has also served as a professional exhibition engineer and translator for internationally acclaimed artists and museum exhibitions in Japan.
- MFA Cranbrook Academy of Art
- BFA Center For Creative Studies College of Art and Design
- 2016 “Mediation – Temple University Alumni and Faculty Exhibition ” Ultra Super New Gallery, Harajuku, Tokyo.
- 2011 “Tokyo Artbook Week 2011” Temple University Japan Campus 2F, Minami Azabu, Tokyo.
- 2009 “Landromat Flat file” Exhibition, Laundromat Gallery, Brooklyn New York.
- 2008 “Cranbrook Japan 2008” Exhibition Ozone Plaza-Park Tower Building 3F, Shinjuku, Tokyo.
- 2007 “5th year anniversary exhibition of Higure 17-15 Cas Gallery,” Higure 17-15 Cas, Nippori, Tokyo.
- 2006 “Light, Sound, Action and Technology” Exhibition, Edith Berry Gallery, Utica New York.
- 2005 “Salon DE J LWL (Lab. for the wonderlandscape) “ Kinanaka White Building, Kishi-Architecture & Planning Office, Yokohama, Tokyo.
- 2004 “Sculpture Space Resident Artist Show” Exhibition, Sculpture Space, Utica, NY.
- 2000 “Contemporary Printmaking Identity” Exhibition, Awa-Gin Plaza Gallery, Tokushima, Tokushima.
- 1996 “Philip Morris Art Award 2000 final selection” Exhibition, Ebisu Garden Place, Ebisu, Tokyo.
- 1996 “Cranbrook Painting”, Uniton League Club, NYC, NY.
- 1995 “Selected Works”, Cranbrook Art Museum、Bloomfield Hills, MI.
- 2018 “Symbiotic Glitter”, Omotesando Rocket, Omotesando-Hills 3F, Omotesando Tokyo.
- June 2003 “Wax and Wanes”, Higure 17-15 Cas Gallery, Nippori, Tokyo.
- 2002 “Memento”, Higure 17-15 Cas Gallery, Nippori, Tokyo.
- 2001 “Pathfinder”, Pepper’s Loft Gallery, Ginza, Tokyo.
- 2000 “Hyper Reality Me Fecit” , Gallery Q, Ginza, Tokyo.
- 2011 Sakurai, Kaoru 「描く・かく・えがく」Kaku, Kaku, Egaku. Tokyo: Keigado Publishing Co., 2011, 176p.
- 2007 Sculpture Space, 「Sculpture Space The Book」, ”Sculpture Space, The Book” pg 36.
- 2002 “Phillip Morris Art Award 2000” Exhibition Catalogue, p105 Tokyo, Phillip Morris Art Award 2000 Committee, 2000.
- Makiko, Hara, “Kaoru Sakurai: Memento Exhibition”, ＢＴBijyutsu -Techo, Bijutsu-Shuppan Publishing Co. September, p226.
- Hayasaka, Yuri, Art Yuran, “Jikan-no-Nagame”, September, (0nline). http://www.art-yuran.jp/2002/07/post_83.html
- Yayoi, Kojima, “Yayoi Kojima’s Art Paradise”, INFAS Co, Monthly Magazine Ryuko-Tsushin, Oct p165.
- INFAS Co, ”Studio Voice” Monthly Magazine, November Issue, p.46.
- Osama no Brunch, TBS Television, Sunday TV program. “Best 10 places to visit in Yanaka District”. Exhibition “memento” was introduced.
- 2004 Sculpture Space, Artist Residency, Utica NY.
- 2000 “Philip Morris Art Award 2000 final selection” Exhibition, Ebisu Garden Place, Ebisu, Tokyo.
Co-Curation, Exhibition organizing
- 2016 “Mediation – Temple University Alumni and Faculty Exhibition ” Ultra Super New Gallery, Harajuku, Tokyo. Co-organizer, Budget Projection, Data base of participants, Layouts, Logistics and Promotion.
- 2008 “Cranbrook Japan 2008 Exhibition”, Ozone Plaza Exhibit Space, Park Tower Shinjuku 3F, Shinjuku, Tokyo. Co-Curator and Producer of the exhibition, Exhibition Planning, Exhibition Layout Design, Design of graphics, exhibition.
Layout, Material and Structural design
- 2008 “Cranbrook Japan 2008 Exhibition” Exhibition Planning, Exhibition Layout Design, Structural Design, Ozone Plaza Exhibit Space, Park Tower Shinjuku 3F, Shinjuku Tokyo.
- 2006 “Wall Project Photo Display” Wieden+Kennedy Tokyo Office, Layout, Structural and Display Design of 50 Plexi-mounted Photographs on the 1F near Entrance Wall. Nogizaka Building, Wieden Kennedy Tokyo Office, Nogizaka, Tokyo.
- 2002 Lecturer, Biggako Art School, Tokyo
- 1997 Lecturer, Washington University St.Louis, School of Art, St.Louis, MO.