Traveling Abroad / Re-entry Permit

Under the new residency management system, it is not required to have a re-entry permit if you re-enter Japan within a year possessing a valid passport and Residence Card. When you travel abroad, you will be required to check a box called “Departure with Special Re-entry Permission” (Minashi sainyukoku) on the Embarkation Card at departure. This card is available at the passport control section at the airport. You must fill out this card and present it with your Residence Card.

Important Notes