Withdrawing From the University

If you are a TUJ visa-sponsored student, you must follow the withdrawal steps below in addition to completing the University Exit Form at the Registrar's Office. If you are receiving student loans or living in university housing, it is your responsibility to contact the appropriate offices to inform them you will be leaving.

Withdrawal Steps

  1. Visit the Registrar's Office and complete the University Exit Form. You need to visit four different departments listed on the form to complete it. One of the departments is the Office of Student Services (OSS). At OSS, you need to fill out a "Notification of Acceptance of Mid-to-long Term Resident" form. This form is required by the Immigration Bureau of Japan to report your withdrawal from the university and subsequently the withdrawal of TUJ's sponsorship of your student visa. Complete the above before your last day on campus or your status may be incorrectly reported to the Immigration Bureau of Japan.
  2. Follow the procedure outlined in the Leaving Japan section below.
  3. Exit Japan: You must leave Japan within 30 days of the last day of your last registered semester, or within 30 days of submitting your University Exit Form if you are withdrawing mid-semester.

Failure to complete this process may result in holds and/or fines on your account from the relevant departments as well as your status being incorrectly reported to the Immigration Bureau of Japan. A hold on your account will, among other things, prevent you from receiving transcripts or other documents from the university.

Leaving Japan

If you are leaving Japan for good, be sure to do the following.

1. Settle Utility Bills

Do not forget to settle electricity, gas, water and other utility bills by contacting the respective companies several days before moving out. TUJ will NOT take responsibility for any unpaid bills.

2. Cancel Cell Phone

Cancel your cell phone and let them know that you will be leaving the country.

3. Close Bank Account

Make sure all bills have been paid. If you have arranged for automatic deduction of your bills, confirm how to pay for them after your account is closed. When closing your account, you will need:

  1. Residence card
  2. Personal seal (inkan) (if used when opening the account)
  3. Passbook

4. Submit a Moving Out Notification (Tenshutu-Shomeisho)

Make sure you submit a Moving Out Notification (Tenshutsu-Todoke / 転出届) to your local city/ward office before leaving Japan.

5. Cancel National Health Insurance (NHI)

Visit your local city/ward office to cancel your NHI. They will adjust your payments (pay you back if you overpaid or collect any outstanding payments). The NHI expiration date will be modified by the office to be valid until your departure. Be sure to bring the following:

  1. NHI card
  2. A document such as an airplane ticket (e-ticket) showing the date of departure from Japan
  3. Cash to pay any outstanding fees

6. Surrender Residence Card

Surrender your residence card directly to the immigration inspector at the airport or port of departure. Failure to do so may result in complications when re-entering Japan in the future.