Changing from Other Visa Status

Last update: November 2018

If you are currently residing in Japan on a different visa status (spouse, dependent, diplomat, etc.), it is possible to change your status to a TUJ-sponsored student visa. By doing so, you are required to abide by all of the TUJ and Immigration visa regulations as outlined in the Visa Regulations and Maintaining Your Visa Status in Japan sections. Please contact the visa coordinator ( in the Office of Student Services and Engagement for more information on changing to a student visa from your current visa status.