Changing from Non-TUJ Student Visa

To transfer to TUJ from another institution in Japan

For students transferring to TUJ who already have a student visa sponsored by another institution, it is necessary to change your visa sponsorship from your current institution to TUJ. You are able to change your visa sponsorship only if the program at your current institution finishes within 3 months of the first day of New Student Orientation at TUJ and if your student visa is valid for a month after the start of your first semester at TUJ. Otherwise, you will have to leave Japan and apply for a new student visa according to the student visa application procedure. The following documents must be submitted no later than seven business days prior to the first day of New Student Orientation in order for TUJ to become your new sponsor.

Failure to submit the documents listed below will prevent you from registering courses at TUJ.

1. Passport Copy

Page with signature, photo and personal information.

2. Student Visa and Landing Permission Copies

3. Copy of Both Sides of Your Residence Card

4. Proof of Financial Viability

Students who are on a college student visa sponsored by another institution must prove that sufficient funds are or will be available from a reliable financial source to pay for all school and living expenses during their stay in Japan. TUJ estimates this cost to be around ¥1,500,000 (or equivalent foreign currency).

Students can submit documents in their own name or, if you do not have the full amount, a financial guarantor, such as a parent, relative or acquaintance, can submit documents on your behalf to meet the ¥1,500,000 requirement. The guarantor must submit documents in his or her name that reflect their current financial situation, and must be dated within three months of the new student orientation of the semester you plan to enter. The guarantor must also complete the Letter of Sponsorship below. GI Bill 100% coverage recipients do not need to submit a Letter of Sponsorship.

Financial viability can be proved by submitting copies of any combination of the following documents. All documents must be translated into either Japanese or English.

If your visa expiration date falls immediately after TUJ's new student orientation or before class registration, the amount of financial proof of viability will be ¥3,000,000.

5. Academic Record and Completion of Previous Institution

Please submit all of the following documents your previous institution issues: transcript, attendance record, school completion certificate, and letter of withdrawal. All documents must be originals from your previous institution.

6. Statement of Agreement and Understanding

7. Notification of the Accepting Organization

Please note that if we do not receive your materials by seven business days before your New Student Orientation, you will have a visa hold placed on your account which will prevent you from registering for courses at TUJ.

Landing Permission Extension

If your landing permission is going to expire within 30 days before New Student Orientation at TUJ and is not extended with your current institution, TUJ may be able to assist with your landing permission's extension application. Please speak with your admissions counselor directly on the required documents and procedure. Please note that the requirements for the landing permission's extension application are different from those listed above. The documents listed above are for changing visa sponsorship only and may not be used for the extension application. Additional documentation needed for the landing permission extension will be informed to you after you receive your admission decision.

Documents can be either e-mailed or sent to us by post. Please send all documents to:

Temple University, Japan Campus, Office of Student Services, Visa Coordinator

1-14-29 Taishido, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo, Japan 154-0004 (Access)

Weekdays 9:00-17:30 (Japan Time)