Admitted, Now What?

For All Students

1. Understand the Undergraduate Program

By becoming a TUJ student, you are joining a student body of over 1,200 undergraduate students and an alumni network of thousands. You will also become a part of the larger Temple University community, a student body that includes over 39,000 students on campuses in Philadelphia, Rome, and around the globe.

Our undergraduate program at TUJ includes:

Now that you have been accepted at TUJ, your primary point of contact with TUJ is the student services coordinator in the Office of Student Services. You will receive contact information on the day of your acceptance.

2. Activate your TUportal Account

TUportal gives registered students a single sign-on gateway to Temple's online services including Temple e-mail (TUmail), Self-Service Banner (SSB), and Blackboard. You should receive instructions on how to join TUportal in an e-mail from Temple Main Campus Information Technology Services within two weeks of your acceptance. If you have not received this notification within two weeks of your acceptance, please contact the student services coordinator for assistance.

3. Take Placement Assessments

Students will need to take Assessments in English and Math to determine their levels of classes at TUJ. Depending on credit for prior learning, students may be exempt from these assessments. Students will be loaded into the testing system as soon as their admissions decisions are made, and will receive a notice via their Temple email account. Students will need to have activated their TUportal Account to take the Assessments. There will be information displayed on the student's TUportal under "Next Steps." Assessments need to be completed about a month before New Student Orientation. For more information on the Placement Assessments, please visit the Placement Assessment webpage.

4. Complete FERPA and ERR

Temple University, Japan Campus follows both U.S. and Japanese regulations regarding information privacy. TUJ cannot disclose a student's educational records which include information pertaining to their loans, student account, and academic records to a third party without written consent from the student. The form to grant this permission in the U.S. is called "Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)," and the form that covers Japan's regulations is called "Education Records Release (ERR)." If you intend to have someone else interact with university staff on your behalf, you need to fill out BOTH forms.


To learn more about FERPA and fill out the form, visit the Main Campus website below.


A link to the ERR online form is included in the e-mail you receive at the time of your acceptance. You can also contact the student services coordinator after your acceptance to get the form.

5. Complete Pre-Arrival Forms

The Office of Student Services will e-mail you several forms for you to complete prior to your arrival on campus for New Student Orientation Week. Many of these forms can be completed online. These forms are necessary for TUJ to arrange your registration, academic advising sessions and other important meetings during orientation.

You will receive an e-mail with links to the following forms:

After submitting these forms, all new students should begin preparing for New Student Orientation Week.

For International Students

International students coming to Japan also need to apply for a student visa.

1. Apply for a Student Visa

All non-Japanese students who intend to take classes for more than three months and who do not have permanent residency in Japan or a visa such as a diplomatic, dependent, or spousal visa must acquire a student visa through TUJ. Admissions counselors explain the requirements and regulations for receiving a student visa. Students needing a student visa will receive information on the visa application process after they get accepted to TUJ.

Most of the items in the visa application can be submitted through e-mail or fax. However, the passport-sized photos must be sent by post. Please send all your documents to the Office of Student Services.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the visa regulations and advance payment requirement. You'll find more information in the visa section of our website.

The financial viability requirement is where students most often experience difficulty. If you need to use financial aid and student loans to satisfy this requirement, please work closely with the student services coordinator immediately after you have been accepted in order to get your financial aid processed in a timely manner.

2. Apply for U.S. Financial Aid (U.S. Citizen / Permanent Resident Only)

If you intend to use U.S. federal aid and loans, TUJ encourages you to complete your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and private loan applications as early as possible. For more information on FAFSA and funding your education, please review the TUJ section on Temple Main Campus Student Financial Services website or watch the video explaining how to apply for FAFSA.

Students applying for a TUJ student visa will be informed of their FAFSA estimates about two weeks before the visa application deadline.

3. Request a Room in University Housing

All new students receiving visa sponsorship from TUJ are required to stay in housing arranged by the university during their first semester in Japan. Japanese students and students who do not need visa sponsorship may also use TUJ housing. Housing options include dorm facilities and a limited number of homestays. For more information, please visit the housing section of our website.

Housing Application Deadline

The deadline to complete the housing application form is roughly two weeks after the visa application deadline.

About Housing Waivers

In certain circumstances, visa-sponsored students may be exempt from the housing requirement. Please read the requirements on the housing section of our website.