Frequently Asked Questions about Admissions

Last update: February 2021


What type of school is TUJ? What type of students study at TUJ?

TUJ is a branch campus of Temple University in the United States. All classes (except foreign language) are taught in English, and students can earn 4-year undergraduate degrees without leaving Japan. For students wishing to pursue the Japanese language, TUJ offers a major and minor in Japanese and has classes ranging from beginner to advance. TUJ is a great choice for students who are looking to obtain an American degree, learn Japanese, and gain an international experience.

When can I enter TUJ?

TUJ has three semesters in an academic year: fall (beginning in late August), spring (beginning in early January), and summer (beginning in mid-May). As in the U.S. university system, many students study fall and spring semesters and take the summer semester off. TUJ visa-sponsored students who are not taking summer classes are required to leave Japan for the duration of the summer semester.

How do I apply?

Can I apply with a GED?

Applicants with a GED are recommended to apply with at least 15 college-level semester credits to strengthen their application. Applicants are required to submit transcripts from all schools attended since the start of high school, in addition to the official GED transcript.

What should I write in my personal statement?

The personal statement is a chance for applicants to introduce themselves; discuss their interest in Japan; describe long-term personal, academic or career goals; or share any other information pertaining to academic goals that the applicant would like the Admissions Office to consider. Be clear and concise and stay within 250-400 words.

When do I know if I've been accepted?

Students typically receive an admissions decision by e-mail within four weeks after submitting a complete application for admission.

I am a native English speaker but don't have SAT or ACT scores. Can I still apply?

Yes. We are a test-optional school and choosing to not submit your scores does not negatively impact your application. If you feel that your test scores are not an accurate reflection of your academic ability, or you were not able to take SAT or ACT tests due to circumstances outside of your control, you do not have to apply with scores.

However, if you believe an SAT or ACT score would complement your application, you should submit your scores.

Placement into math and English courses at Temple may be determined using high school GPA, SAT, ACT, or AP scores. If not submitted, placement assessments will be required.

Does TUJ accept U.S. military credits?

Yes, TUJ will take your U.S. military courses and review them as part of your credit transfer evaluation. Please request an original Joint Services Transcript (JST, formerly SMART or AARTS) or Community College of the Air Force transcript to be sent directly to TUJ.

When will I find out how my credits transfer?

In most cases, applicants accepted as matriculated students will be able to check their transfer credit evaluations in TUPortal. Transfer credits will only be evaluated for accepted students.

Will my GPA carry over to TUJ?

No, your GPA does not carry over to TUJ. If you have taken college courses elsewhere, we will evaluate your official transcripts for college credit but your GPA will not accompany the credits transferred.

I have been accepted to TUJ. What do I do next?

Students requiring student visa sponsorship will need to send in a completed student visa application by the final deadline (note that the final deadlines for the admissions and student visa applications are the same). In the months before the start of the semester you've applied for, you will receive regular updates from the Admissions and Student Services offices. These will include notices regarding the Certificate of Eligibility for the student visa, housing request form, pre-departure information, new student information packet, the Orientation schedule and information on advising and registration that precedes the start of classes.

I have been accepted to TUJ. Can I defer my enrollment?

Yes, accepted students will be allowed to defer enrollment up to three semesters past their original semester of admission without being required to complete a new application for admission. Students who wish to defer to a future semester must notify TUJ in writing of their intention. Any TUJ merit scholarships awarded would be forfeited and a student would need to request to be reconsidered for scholarships for their new semester of admission.


Does TUJ accept transfer students?

Yes, TUJ accepts transfer students. In most cases, applicants accepted as matriculated students will be able to check their transfer credit evaluations in TUPortal.

Do I need a minimum number of college credits to be considered a transfer student?

Yes. An applicant with 15 or more transferable semester credits is considered a transfer student. Applicants with less than 30 transferable semester credits are evaluated on both their high school and college records. Students with more than 30 transferable semester credits are evaluated on their college GPA.

I have a number of college credits already. Will TUJ take my high school transcript into consideration for admission?

TUJ requires you to submit a high school transcript if you have less than 30 college-level semester credits.

What credits transfer?

In general, courses that are academic, college-level, taken at a properly accredited institution, and in which you have earned a grade of C or better are transferable. Courses from very specialized majors are less likely to transfer. ESL and other pre-college developmental courses, ungraded credits, and credits earned for internships or seminar courses do not transfer. Computer science credits typically do not transfer. Reevaluation of certain courses may be possible after a matriculated student has consulted with the Academic Advising Center or major coordinator. In general, it is best to take general education and lower-division courses at your current college or university.

What kind of classes should I take at my community college in preparation to transfer to TUJ?

You should follow the requirements at your community college for a transfer associates degree. There is no guarantee that everything will transfer but sticking with the basics usually gets the student the most transfer credits. College-level mathematics and English composition are highly recommended.


Is English spoken in the classes and business offices?

English is the common language for both classes and general administrative activities. No Japanese proficiency is required to be a student at TUJ.

How safe is your campus?

Tokyo is a very safe city, particularly for a major metropolis, with a very low crime rate. TUJ is centrally located in a well-populated neighborhood.

TUJ is housed in a newly-built facility on the grounds of Showa Women’s University with building maintenance and security staff on hand.

Is there someone there to help overseas students settle in?

The Office of Student Services assists students from overseas to become accustomed to life in Tokyo (getting a commuter pass, opening a bank account, etc.) and organizes activities and workshops. They help all students in every capacity to get used to life in Japan. TUJ also has professional counselors available to students when they are having difficulties with adjusting to life in Japan or other psychological issues.


Do you have dorm rooms? If so, are they on the main campus grounds of TUJ?

Visa-sponsored students stay in either a TUJ dorm or participate in a home stay for their first semester. TUJ uses two dorm facilities in the Tokyo area, located within 30-50 minutes of the campus. Housing placement depends on the number of students each semester. Every student sponsored by TUJ for a student visa is guaranteed housing for the first semester in either the dorms or a home stay. Descriptions of the facilities are available on the page below.

What do students do for accommodation from the second semester?

After the first semester, students need to move out of the dorm or their home stay and move into private accommodation. The Office of Student Services runs housing fairs each semester to help students learn about various housing options. Please note that requests to stay in the dorm as a continuing students is granted on an individual and space-availability basis.


What can I major in at TUJ?

TUJ offers the following majors: International Business Studies, Japanese Language, Communication Studies, Art, International Affairs, Political Science, Psychological Studies, Economics, Asian Studies, and General Studies.

Can I graduate with a double major from TUJ?

Yes, students can choose to double major, have a major and minor, or other combinations of degrees. You may not only have a minor; you must have a major to accompany it.

My intended major is not offered at TUJ. Can I still study there?

There are a few options. Students can apply as freshmen and spend their first two years at TUJ completing general education requirements, then transfer to the Temple University main campus or another 4-year university. Students already enrolled at a 4-year U.S. university can apply as a Study Abroad student through the main campus's Education Abroad Office and come to TUJ for one or two semesters.

What major can I choose if I wish to pursue a second bachelor's degree at TUJ?

Applicants who have already completed a bachelor’s degree are limited to Art or Communication Studies majors if they wish to pursue a second bachelor’s degree at TUJ.


How do I pay the application fee and other payments?

All payments, including application fee, Advance Payment, tuition and fees, may be paid by credit card or wire transfer. TUJ does NOT accept cash, personal checks, or money orders.

Do I need to pay in Japanese yen?

Bank wire transfers and credit card payments can be made in any currency. Payment will automatically be converted to Japanese yen. The applicant is responsible for all bank and handling charges and for ensuring that the correct amount of Japanese yen is received.


Can TUJ sponsor my student visa?

Yes, TUJ can sponsor student visas. Please note that there are several visa requirements for those applying for a student visa through TUJ. Please review the website carefully, so you understand the regulations, paying close attention to the Proof of Financial Viability and Advance Payment sections.

Can I apply for a Japanese student visa on my own?

No. TUJ must apply for the visa on behalf of all students. Students cannot apply for a student visa independently of TUJ.

What is the student visa application process?

Visa application process is outlined on the page below.

Can I apply for admission first, and apply for the student visa?

Yes, as long as you apply for admission early. The deadline for the admissions and student visa applications are the same. Students who apply for admission at least one month before the final deadline can receive an admissions decision before they need to send in the student visa application. If it is within one month of the final deadline, students should send in both the admissions and student visa applications to ensure that all documents arrive on time.

What documents can I use to prove financial viability?

Please refer to the Proof of Financial Viability section on the Visa Application Process and Documents page.

What is a guarantor?

A guarantor is a person who will be financially responsible for your education, usually your parent or guardian. Every student seeking a student visa must have a guarantor. You can be your own guarantor if you can submit financial documents in your name showing access to 3 million yen (about US$30,000).

Why do I need to show access to 3 million yen?

To issue a student visa, the Japanese Immigration Bureau requires that all students show the ability to support themselves. TUJ estimates 3 million yen as the amount necessary to cover costs, including tuition, school fees, and living expenses, for the first two semesters.

Please see FAQ about Student Visa page for more questions.


Can I work on a student visa?

Yes, if you obtain a work permit, you can work up to 28 hours per week during the semester and up to 40 hours per week (8 hours per day) during the semester breaks. Students can apply for a work permit during the immigration procedure at the arrival airport.

What kind of part-time job opportunities are there for me?

In addition to a small number of on-campus jobs, students are welcome to search outside of TUJ for job opportunities. Many students teach conversational English (or their native language), which usually pays pretty well (typically 2,000 yen to 3,000 yen per hour). Be careful — classes at TUJ are challenging and require significant time and effort. You'll need to find a good balance between classes, social activities, and a job.

Can TUJ help me find a full-time job?

The Career Development Office aims to help develop students' abilities to find the best job before they graduate. It provides career counseling, seminars on employment strategies, career fairs, and guidance on internships, resume, and interviewing techniques. Each TUJ student is also provided with a comprehensive guidelines booklet to assist with job-hunting and career development.

Disability Accommodation

What should I do if I am an applicant with a disability?

The presence of a disability is not considered in admissions. Please follow the standard application procedure for admissions and, if needed, a student visa. So that we may determine reasonable accommodations for a disability or condition, please provide a professional evaluation in English to TUJ after you are admitted. We highly recommend that this evaluation is completed in your home country before you enroll at TUJ, since doing this in Japan can be costly and time-consuming. Acceptable documentation includes psycho-educational evaluations, psychological evaluations (must be from a licensed psychiatrist or psychologist), medical evaluations, speech or hearing evaluations, and other professional evaluations that are specific to the disability.

Cost and Financial Aid

For questions about cost and financial aid, please see the FAQ about Cost and Financial Aid.