Obtaining a Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
Please complete and submit the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) Application Form below and supporting documents by the visa application deadline. All supporting documents must be in English. Documents sent to TUJ will not be returned. To prevent any unnecessary delays, we strongly encourage you to submit the necessary documents as soon as possible.
Please send all documents to:
Temple University, Japan Campus
Executive MBA Program
4-1-27 Mita, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-0073
1. Certificate of Eligibility (COE) Application Form
2. Copy of Your Passport
Page with photo, personal information and signature.
3. Two Identical Passport Photos (4 cm high x 3 cm wide)
- Photos must show a clear, full front view of the student's face from the bottom of the chin to the top of the hair against a white or off-white background.
- Photos must be official passport photos, taken at such places as a pharmacy or a professional photography studio.
- They also must be in color and printed on photo paper.
- 2 inch x 2 inch photos can be submitted if they are official passport photos.
4. Proof of Financial Viability
To issue a student visa, the Japanese Immigration Bureau requires that all students show the ability to support themselves. TUJ estimates 4.5 million yen (or equivalent foreign currency) as the amount necessary to cover costs, including tuition, school fees, and living expenses, for the first three semesters. This can be done by submitting copies of any combination of the following documents: financial aid award letter, bank statements, investment or retirement account statements, available credit lines, loan approvals, or scholarship award letters. Parents, relatives, or acquaintances may submit documents on behalf of the applicant. These documents must reflect your current financial situation and must be dated within three months of the application deadline. Documents may not be submitted after the application deadline.
TUJ will submit your COE application to the Japanese Immigration Bureau. Upon approval, Immigration will issue a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Immigration's processing of your COE application and issuing of the COE can take up to 4 weeks.
The COE authorizes you to apply for a student visa. TUJ will forward the COE to you. Upon receipt, you will need to apply for your student visa. The visa application can only be processed at a Japanese embassy or consulate outside of Japan. You cannot process your student visa in Japan.