Director of the Academic Advising Center
9:00-17:30 Monday through Friday (37.5 hours per week)
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Temple University, Japan Campus (TUJ) is able to sponsor a visa for this position.
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience, plus transportation.
15 days paid vacation in the first fiscal year (July-June) increasing to 24 days after 6 years of employment, plus 5 paid “personal and sick days” each year. In addition, approximately two weeks company-wide break over Christmas/New Year, Japanese social insurance and pension, commuting allowance, and tuition benefits for Temple University, Japan Campus (TUJ) programs.
Overview of Position
The Director of the Academic Advising Center at the Japan campus of Temple University is an administrative position that plays a critical role in the undergraduate education mission of our campus. The director is tasked with developing and implementing an academic advising system for undergraduate students that proactively engages students and facilitates their success. The successful candidate will prioritize students, uphold academic standards, supervise all members of the academic advising staff, assist and maintain efficient and effective operating procedures, including ensuring appropriate use of technology, ongoing staff training, and the delivery of optimal services to students.
The director will play a key role in developing advising initiatives and programs in collaboration with academic departments that will increase student retention and completion rates. The director will also:
- Lead a team of advisors and staff dedicated to serving the needs of TUJ and its students.
- Provide academic, career, and transfer advisement and registration for students, which requires ascertaining students’ goals and assisting in the planning for student attainment of those goals.
- Process course substitutions, prerequisite waivers, prerequisite override documentation, academic clemency requests, portfolio assessment applications and add/drop forms as required.
- Provide information to prospective students.
- Serve as liaison to academic departments, the Main Campus advising community, and to the Temple Japan campus community as needed.
- Provide academic, career, and transfer advisement and registration for students by understanding their goals and assisting in the planning for student attainment of such goals.
- Partner with students to develop an educational plan based on placement, academic and life goals and career aspirations.
- Interpret placement measures, advise students of course placement, and monitor progress of academically at-risk students requiring on-going contact with students and instructors.
- Assist with the formation of new articulation agreements, inform students of articulation agreements, and assist incoming students in interpretation of transfer requirements for articulation agreements and transfer options in general.
- Assist students in completing graduation applications and verify data.
- Help develop innovative approaches to enhance student success and engagement.
- Collaborate to create, maintain, assess, and modify student enrollment, onboarding, and orientation processes.
- Collaborate to create, maintain, assess, and modify intervention strategies to increase student success, retention, and completion.
- Work with the campus community to develop schedules, policies, and operational procedures.
- Collect, maintain, and disseminate data related to academic advising and student success to university leadership.
- Work to ensure that staffing and technology are adequate to meet the needs of all students, staff, and campus stakeholders.
- Adequately train academic advising staff to deliver optimal services to all students, staff, and campus stakeholders. This includes, but is not limited to, ongoing professional development and training for all advising staff.
- Maintain memberships in professional organizations and collaborate with outside agencies and institutions.
Qualifications & Experience
- Master’s degree
- At least four years of experience in academic advising or a related area in a higher education setting providing guidance and direct services to students.
- Significant experience with the use of technology, including student tracking systems, superior organizational skills, outstanding verbal and written communication skills, and a documented ability to lead and be part of a student services team.
- Excellent communication skills in English.
- Knowledge of research-based best practices for student success.
- Innovative and student-focused mindset.
- PhD or other terminal degree.
- Three years of supervisory experience.
- Evidence of collaboration with external academic support services (e.g., teaching and learning center, office of disability resources and services, etc.) and academic affairs.
- Teaching experience at the collegiate level.
- Ability to communicate in Japanese.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Desired start date is June 1, 2021 or earlier.
Please send applications to email@example.com with:
- a letter of application,
- resume or c.v.,
- contact information for two references.
Please indicate the title of the position you are applying for in the email subject box. Also, we would appreciate it very much if you could let us know from which website/resource you found out about this position.
Only those applicants who make it past the initial review will be contacted.
Temple University, Japan Campus is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.