Refereed Academic Journal Articles
- Waves of Change: Evolution in the U.S. Navy’s Strategic Approach to Disaster Relief Operations Between the 2004 and 2011 Asian Tsunamis, Asian Security, spring 2013.
- The Case for a Northeast Asian Disaster Relief Hub, Asia Policy, June 2012 (with Deogsan Ahn, James Newberry and Harold Wescott).
- The Maritime Strategy of the United States: Implications for Indo-Pacific Sealanes, Contemporary Southeast Asia, Aug 2011.
- Shifting the Tides Against Piracy in Southeast Asian Waters, Asian Survey, May/June 2008.
- The Growing Prospects for Maritime Security Cooperation in Southeast Asia, Naval War College Review, summer 2005.
- Japanese Anti-Piracy Initiatives in Southeast Asia: Policy Formulation and Coastal State Responses,
Contemporary Southeast Asia, Vol. 26, No. 3, Dec 2004.
- U.S.-Japan Alliance Handbook. Office of the Secretary of Defense-Policy and National Defense University. 2nd edition Nov 2012. 1st edition Nov 2010.
- U.S. Strategic Interests and Cooperative Activities in Maritime Southeast Asia, Maritime Security in Southeast Asia: U.S., Japanese, Regional and Industry Strategies, John Bradford, James Manicom, Simon Sheldon and Neil Quartaro, National Bureau of Asian Research Special Report #24, Nov 2010 (also published in The Global Maritime Security and the Japan-U.S. Alliance, Japan Forum on International Relations, May 2010).
Professional Journal Articles
- Japan (1945 to present), Orang Laut, Tandjong Priok, Turtle Ships and Zheng He, The Sea in World History: Exploration, Travel, and Trade, Stephen Stein (ed), ABC-CLIO, 2017.
- Indonesian Revolution, Fall of Malaya-Singapore, Indonesian-Malaysian Confrontation and Malayan Emergency, International Encyclopedia of Military History, James Bradford (ed), Routledge, 2006.
Research Institute Publication Sereies
- Beyond Bilateralism: Exercising the Maritime Security Network in Southeast Asia, Issues & Insights, Vol 16, No 11, CSIS PACFORUM, 15 Jun 2016 (with Greg Adams).
- The Global Maritime Fulcrum: A New American Opportunity to Seriously Engage Indonesia, Issues & Insights, Vol 15, No 9, CSIS PACFORUM, 6 Oct 2015 (with Sean Quirk).
- Japan-China Maritime Confidence Building and Communications Mechanisms, PACNET #67, 20 Aug 2013 (with James Przystup and James Manicom).
- Southeast Asian Maritime Security in the Age of Terror: Threats, Opportunity, and Charting the Course Forward, RSIS Working Paper, No 75, Apr 2005.
- The Indonesian Military as a Professional Organization: Criteria and Ramifications for Reform, Explorations, Autumn 2005 (also published as RSIS Working Paper, No 73, Jan 2005.
- The ROTC Advantage, American Enterprise. Fall 1999 (with Elias Lehrer).
- Civil-Military Relations Theory, Reform. Muhammadiyah University Malang, Fall 1995.