Last update: July, 2021
Switching to Online Delivery Due to COVID-19
Due to the current COVID-19 situation, there is an ongoing possibility that on-campus courses may need to suddenly switch to online delivery. In such an event, registered students will be notified as early as possible.
If the majority of a course scheduled to take place on-campus needs to be delivered online, affected students will be automatically credited a 5000 yen “facility fee”.
Prior to the start of the semester, registered students who do not wish to complete their course online may request a withdrawal and refund prior to that semester’s withdrawal deadline. Unfortunately, mid-semester withdrawals and refunds are not possible, except in extenuating circumstances. Please ensure that you have the means to complete your course online if necessary. If you believe your case to be extenuating, please contact the program office.
Cancellation of a Class
From time to time, a class must be rescheduled or a substitute professor retained due to instructor illness or other factors outside of TUJ's control. TUJ reserves the right to make these adjustments.
We do not accept course changes after the second class. A written request must be submitted before the second class. Please be aware that sitting in on or auditing classes is not permitted.
To withdraw from a course, you are required to submit a written request by e-mail. You are also responsible for bank charges when receiving the refund. Please refer to the withdrawal deadline on the Calendar.
Applicants receive an AAI (Acknowledgement/Acceptance/Invoice) form, which lists the tuition payment deadline. Please note that if we cannot confirm receipt of payment by the set deadline stated on your Application Acknowledgement and Invoice form or we do not receive a notice from you by e-mail, your course registration will be cancelled.
Students cannot attend classes or use TUJ facilities until all payments are received. Students who have an outstanding balance in any TUJ academic program will not be allowed to register for any course.
Tuition is nonrefundable except in the cases outlined below. Refunds will not be made in cases of absence, suspension or dismissal.
- Due to insufficient enrollment, a course is canceled or postponed.
- The applicant is prevented from attending classes due to sickness or job transfer. (In such cases, a medical certificate or certificate of transfer is required.) To request a refund, you must submit a written request before the second class. Please note that you are responsible for bank charges connected with the refund.
Students may use the computer labs, and access is limited to the semester(s) in which the students are enrolled. Login credentials can be provided at the Continuing Education office.
There will be no classes on national holidays unless specially arranged by the instructor.
In Case of Natural Disasters and Emergencies
Please refer to the TUJ website for information on cancellation of classes in the event of a natural disaster or other emergency.
Friend of TUJ Discount
In order to be eligible for the Friend of TUJ discount for any given semester, your company/organization must be a member and you must list your company/organization in the space provided on the application form. Retroactive discounts are not possible. If your company is not a Friend of TUJ, please contact the office and ask how you can make this possible.
To be eligible for the Early-Bird Discount for any given semester, you must register for your course(s) and make full payment by the Early-Bird Discount deadline.
For most courses, students are responsible to buy their own textbooks after they receive the course confirmation approximately one week before classes start. Students should communicate with bookstores directly for returns, exchanges, or refunds.
Online courses offered through MindEdge
Please note that the above policies apply to courses developed and delivered by TUJ. Online courses offered through our partners are not eligible for TUJ discounts (i.e. early bird, Friend of TUJ, or alumni), and may follow different policies and procedures. For more information on policies for MindEdge courses, please refer to: https://catalog.mindedge.com/tujconted/faqs
Temple University, Japan Campus (TUJ) is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all in every aspect of its operations. The university has pledged not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, disability, marital status or veteran status. This policy extends to all educational, service, and employment programs of the university.
Right of Refusal
At the same time, TUJ's Continuing Education program reserves the right to refuse admission to students or remove admitted students from the classroom, at its sole discretion, for any reason other than discrimination as described above. This specifically includes, but is not limited to, refusal of service to students whose actions disrupt the teaching or administration of Continuing Education programs. Refunds will not be made in cases of suspension or dismissal.
Use of Your Data
Assumption of Risk and Release
Program participants agree to the following Assumption of Risk and Release in consideration for voluntary participation in a course, seminar or workshop (“Program”) provided by the Continuing Education program at Temple University, Japan Campus (“TUJ”).
Intending to be legally bound, those who register expressly agree to:
- Assume any and all risks arising from my participation in the Program, including without limitation the risks of illness, disease, infection, bodily injury or property damage, the unavailability of emergency medical care, whether because of my own actions, inactions or negligence, and/or the actions, inactions or negligence of others.
- Assume all risk and responsibility for my personal medical care. I acknowledge that TUJ does not provide any form of health, accident or liability insurance in connection with the Program. I understand that any such insurance is my sole responsibility, and recognize that TUJ is not obligated to satisfy any of my medical or medication needs.
- Release, discharge, and agree not to sue TUJ, Temple Educational Support Services, Ltd., Temple University - Of The Commonwealth System of Higher Education and all their successors, assigns, affiliates, officers, trustees, employees, and agents (collectively, “Temple”) from and against any present or future claim, loss of liability for injury to person or property which I may suffer (including death), or for which I may be liable to any other person, which may arise as a result of my participation in or travel to the Program or otherwise arising out of risk associated with the Program.
- Indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Temple from any and all claims, causes of action, damages, judgments, costs, or expenses that arise out of or relate to the negligent or intentional act or omission of myself.
Those who register expressly acknowledge that they have carefully read and understood this Assumption of Risk and Release before agreeing to it. This agreement represents complete understanding with Temple concerning their responsibility and liability for participation in the Program, supersedes any previous or contemporaneous understandings on this subject, whether written or oral, and cannot be changed or amended in any way without my and TUJ’s written concurrence. Agreement to this Assumption of Risk and Release is wholly voluntary. Prior to agreeing to this Assumption of Risk and Release, registrants may consult with an adviser or attorney of their choice. Registrants agree that, should any provision or aspect of this Assumption of Risk and Release be found to be unenforceable, that all the remaining provisions of it will remain in full force and effect.
By clicking the "Send" button on the Online Application Form, I hereby agree to this Assumption of Risk and Release and acknowledge that clicking the "Send" button will be deemed an electronic signature which will operate and have the same effect as a written signature. If I wish, I may print and save a copy of this Assumption of Risk and Release.