Unfortunately, due to the social distancing measures in place to reduce the spread of COVID-19, on campus English Level Checks are not possible at this time. During this period, we recommend you take a free online English level check to get a better idea of your language ability. Tests that report results on the CEFR scale are the best option. There are several good free level checks available. We recommend the following as it allows you to test your skills across reading, vocabulary, grammar and reading: https://www.oxfordonlineenglish.com/english-level-test
After testing each area, the results will tell you which CEFR area you most closely align to: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2. Mark down these results. They are important. After completing the online level check, you can refer to this English Level Chart to help you determine which course would be appropriate for your level.
However, assessment scores are not the only important factor in selecting the course that is right for you.
We recommend taking the following into consideration when selecting your course:
English Level Chart
Please refer to the English Proficiency Chart for recommended English proficiency levels corresponding to General English courses.
- English Level Check score
- If you are near the border between two levels, we recommend taking the higher level course. You may surprise yourself. If after the first week, you find the level too difficult you can easily switch to a lower level course.
- Focus on Specific Language Skills courses offer intermediate and above students specialized study in one of these skills.
- Are you working in a setting with many opportunities to use English? Did you live in an English speaking country in the past? Such experiences may accelerate your learning.
- Your motivation for studying English may have a strong influence on the best course for you. It is important to pick a level and focus that will keep you challenged and interested.
If you are still not sure which course is best for you, don’t worry. We are here to help. Schedule an appointment with one of our advising team. We will be more than happy to answer all your questions, show you course syllabus, provide information on which textbooks are used, and give you any other details you might need.