Grad Prep Course
An evening course for those seeking the English skills necessary for graduate-level work.
2019 Fall Semester
- Tuesday, September 10 - Thursday, November 21, 2019 (20 classes)
- Application Deadline:
- Sunday, September 1, 2019
*We will stop accepting applications once all seats are filled.
*Depending on space availability, we may accept applications even after the deadline.
*Applications received outside business hours will be processed the next business day.
- The application period has ended.
- 71,800 yen (Tax included)
*Library and Computer Lab usage fees are also included.
- Designed for:
- Senior-year university students and working professionals who have been accepted by TUJ (MBA, TESOL, and LAW) or by a graduate school overseas; or
- College students and working professionals who wish to enter a graduate program at TUJ or overseas, but have not yet been accepted and have a minimum English standard test score of TOEFL iBT 80, or IELTS 6.0.If you have a TOEFL ITP score, please contact us.
- A copy of proof of acceptance into a graduate program; or
- A copy of an English standardized test score.
- Dates and Times:
- Tuesday & Thursday 19:30-21:00 (20 classes for a total of 30 hours)
- Temple University, Japan Campus (Access: 7-minute walk from Sangen-jaya station, Tokyu Den-en-toshi Line)
*TUJ is moving to a new location in August 2019
- Register for this Course
If you have any questions or worries about the class and would like some advice, we are happy to arrange an individual meeting (English or Japanese). Please feel free to contact Admissions Counseling at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: This course expects students to attend most, if not all, of the classes. Assignments will also be given. Please consider carefully before applying whether you have sufficient time to both attend classes and to tackle the homework assignments.
This course is designed for those who have already been accepted into or who will soon apply to graduate courses at TUJ or in English-speaking countries. By cultivating the academic skills necessary to take up the challenge of graduate school classes, the course enables students who have not graduated from English-speaking universities to smoothly transition into graduate school.
This course is conducted in English. Students learn the foundations of academic skills, including critical thinking skills, analytical skills, and time management, as well as academic English skills, including reading academic texts, writing academic papers, essay formats (MLA, APA, etc.), research and citation methods, how to participate in group discussions, and how to give presentations.
- MLA = Modern Language Association
- APA = American Psychological Association
Individual guidance is given outside classroom hours during the course. Each student receives 1-2 sessions of individual guidance on class content, essay composition and assignments for 10-15 minutes before the start of class, at times arranged between the student and instructor.
If your educational plans include advanced study in Graduate School, please consider one of our Graduate Preparation courses. Through intensive study, students will learn the academic skill set essential for success in Graduate School. In addition to individual work, these courses foster a lively spirit of teamwork with fellow classmates—just like many classes in Graduate School. I hope to meet you in class!
Grad Prep Course instructor
Steps to Attend the Program
Please follow the procedures below to attend the course.
1. Submit your application
Please apply online, by phone or in person at the university by the specified deadline.
2. Request sending us your acceptance certification or English standard test score
After you submit your application, we will e-mail you requesting that you send us your acceptance certification or English standard test score. Please send us the required documents following the instructions, either by post or e-mail.
3. Receiving the program details
After your certification or English standard test score have been received, details of the tuition fee payment will be sent to you via e-mail, and the course guide will be sent by post. The mailing of this document serves as notification that you are now officially enrolled on the course.
4. Pay the tuition fees
Please pay the tuition fees via wire transfer to the specified bank account by the deadline.
5. What to bring on the first day
On the first day of class, please bring a copy of the confirmation slip from the wire transfer of the tuition fees, the Program Guide, and a color passport-size photo (4 cm high x 3 cm wide).
Please apply using the online application form, by phone, or in person at the university. Please feel free to contact us for any questions about course details or the application process.
*Depending on space availability, we may accept applications even after the deadline has passed. Please submit the application form, and we will get back to you.
The application period has ended.
Note: Please be aware that courses cannot be offered in the event that there are insufficient numbers of applicants.