Summer Off (Summer Absence)
If you do not intend to take courses at TUJ during the summer semester, you must file a Summer Off Request Form (PDF: 33KB) with the Office of Student Services (OSS) and leave Japan. You cannot stay in Japan and work during the summer without being enrolled at TUJ for the summer semester. If you plan on taking the summer off but will return to TUJ for the fall semester, you must do the following:
- Submit a completed Summer Off Request Form to the visa coordinator (email@example.com). The form must be submitted to the visa coordinator no later than 17:00 on the last day of the spring semester.
- Leave Japan within 30 days of the last day of spring semester. You may not re-enter Japan until 30 days prior to the beginning of the fall semester. You are not permitted to re-enter Japan mid-summer; you must remain outside of Japan until 30 days before the start of the fall semester. Keep your Residence Card and health insurance card with you when you exit Japan.
- At the beginning of the fall semester after you return from your summer off, visit OSS with your passport no later than 17:00 of the last day to drop a course for fall semester. The visa coordinator will verify your exit and re-entry stamps to confirm your compliance with the summer off policies; specifically, that you indeed left and returned to Japan as directed.
A student on a planned summer leave of absence who fails to submit the Summer Off Request Form by the last day of the spring semester will be assessed a visa violation fine as described in the section Visa Holds and Related Sanctions.
If you have a hold on your student account or other circumstances that prevent you from registering for summer courses, please email the visa coordinator by the last day of the spring semester to confirm your intent to register at a later date.
Immediate Summer Off
If after the start of the summer semester you decide not to take classes, you must immediately apply for a summer off and leave Japan. The procedure is as follows.
- Drop all of your courses through Self-Service Banner and submit the Summer Off Request Form (PDF: 33KB) by the deadline to drop courses.
- Leave Japan within two weeks of submitting the Summer Off Request Form.
- At the beginning of the fall semester, visit OSS with your passport no later than 17:00 of the last day to drop a course for fall semester. The visa coordinator will verify your exit and re-entry stamps to confirm your compliance with the summer off policies; specifically, that you indeed left and returned to Japan as directed.
If you fail to submit the Summer Off Request Form by the deadline to drop courses, a visa violation fine will be assessed as described the section Visa Holds and Related Sanctions.
If you want to extend your leave of absence to include the fall semester, follow the instructions for the Fall/Spring LOA on the LOA and Returning to TUJ page. You will continue to be charged for National Health Insurance as long as your visa is valid.
Depending on when you intend to return to TUJ, you may be able to return on your current visa status and landing permission or you may be required to obtain a new student visa altogether. Please consult the visa coordinator regarding your particular situation before you leave.
You are not allowed to use your work permit and work part-time while you are on academic leave. The work permission is given only when students are enrolled in classes.
Please note that a fine for failing to file summer off-related documents in a timely manner will be assessed as described the section in the Visa Holds and Related Sanctions.