Areas of Expertise
Comparative political economy, public policy, political ideologies, focusing on advanced industrial liberal-market economies. Current politics research is on the use of cross-national comparisons in domestic policy argument. Expertise in higher education administration includes internationalization and assessment of student learning.
Prof. Howard has taught a wide range of political science courses since joining Temple University in Philadelphia in 2000. He has also taught Temple's graduate course Teaching in Higher Education for Social Scientists, and graduate courses at Temple's Fox School and the University of Pennsylvania's Masters of Public Administration program.
- "Federal Reserve Board" and "Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation" entries in the Oxford Companion to American Politics, ed. David Coates, Oxford University Press, July 2012
- "Japan in American Political Discourse: Problem Definition and Policy Analysis since the 1980s" Akita International University Global Review, Vol 2, 2010
- Coauthor (with Terrence Casey): "New Labour and the British Model of Capitalism," in The Blair Legacy, ed. Terrence Casey, Palgrave, 2009
- "UK corporate governance: To what end a new regulatory state?" West European Politics, 29:3 May 2006,reprinted in Clarke and Chanlat, eds: European Corporate Governance: Readings and Perspectives, Routledge, 2009
- "Japan in American Political Discourse: Problem Definition and Policy Analysis since the 1980s" AkitaInternational University Conference on US Studies of Japan and Japanese Studies of the US, Nov 21-2, 2009
- "But things are better over there! Comparative problem definition in British and American policy argument"American Political Science Association Annual Meeting, Boston, September, 2008
- "Red tape nightmare or regulatory model? Business regulation under Blair and Brown" American PoliticalScience Association Annual Meeting/British Politics Group Short Course, Chicago, August 2007
- "Power and the useful political scientist: John Kenneth Galbraith, the modern corporation, and political economic scholarship" International Studies Association Annual Meeting, Chicago, March 2007
- PhD, Comparative Politics & Public Policy, George Washington University
- BA Hons, Philosophy Politics & Economics, Hertford College, Oxford