The 16th Annual Temple University Japan Campus Applied Linguistics Colloquium - Call for Papers
October 7, 2013
We are pleased to announce the 16th annual Temple University Applied Linguistics Colloquium. Please join us on Saturday, February 8th from 12:00 to 6:00 pm and Sunday, February 9th, 2014 from 12:00 to 5:00 pm at Temple University Japan's Osaka Center for an exploration of current research into second language acquisition and pedagogy.
The primary goal of this event is to provide a venue for both new and experienced researchers to present their work in a supportive atmosphere. The second goal of the event is for researchers to be able to discuss research-related issues with one another in order to learn more about conducting high-quality educational research.
Colloquium Location and Time
- Dates & Time:
- Saturday, February 8, 2014, 12:00-18:00
Sunday, February 9, 2014, 12:00-17:00
* Registration with coffee, tea, and donuts will be available from 11:00 on both days.
- Temple University, Japan Campus
Osaka Ekimae Bldg. 3, 21st Floor, 1-1-3-2100 Umeda, Kita-ku, Osaka 530-0001 (Map & Directions)
- ¥1,500 (collected at the door)
* The fee covers your attendance for either one or for both days.
Research in any area of foreign language teaching and learning (whether it be English or other languages) and second language acquisition is welcome. We hope to have presentations covering a broad range of topics and research approaches.
Type of Presentations
Four types of proposals will be considered:
- Reports on completed qualitative, quantitative, or mixed-methods research. (20-minute presentation and a 5-minute question and answer period)
- Reports on works in progress. Such studies might still be in the planning stages, and therefore open to modification, or in the analysis stage. (20-minute presentation and a 5-minute question and answer period)
- "How to" presentations (e.g., How to conduct case study research, how to use a specific piece of software). (25 minutes or 55 minutes depending on the complexity of the presentation)
- Panel discussions in which 3-4 persons present and discuss a particular issue in the field. (55 minutes)
Submissions should include:
- Information about the presenter(s)
- names and affiliations of all presenters
- full mailing address of the primary presenter
- phone and fax numbers of all presenters
- e-mail addresses of all presenters
- Information about the presentation or panel discussion
- title of the presentation or panel discussion (12 words max.)
- 50-word summary of the presentation or panel discussion
- 150-word abstract of the presentation or panel discussion
Please submit proposals by December 2, 2013 to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the topic line of your e-mail write "Colloquium proposal".
All submissions will be reviewed by a jury of Temple University Japan Campus faculty; presenters will be notified of the jury's decisions on or before January 10, 2014.
The Applied Linguistics Colloquium is organized by the Graduate Education Program at Temple University's Japan Campus.