J.D. Semester Abroad: Certificate of Eligibility and Student Visa Information

All non-Japanese students who intend to take classes for more than three months and who do not have a resident, diplomatic, dependent, or spousal visa must acquire a Japanese student visa.

Obtaining a student visa is a two-step process. First, you obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and, second, when you receive it, you apply for a visa. You must begin the application process for a Japanese student visa through TUJ; you cannot apply independently. TUJ will submit a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) application for admitted students to the Japanese Immigration Bureau. After you receive the COE, you must complete and submit a visa application to your local Japanese embassy or consulate.

For more information about obtaining your COE and Japanese student visa, please visit the link below for the "COE and Visa Application Instructions."

Step 1: Certificate of Eligibility (COE) Application

(To be submitted to Temple Law School Japan)

Step 2: Student Visa Application

(To be completed after your Certificate of Eligibility is issued, and submitted to your local Japanese Consulate)

Step 3: Residence Card

When you are coming to Japan on a student visa, you will receive your Residence Card at the airport in Tokyo (Narita and Haneda), Nagoya and Osaka. The card should take an additional few minutes to prepare as part of the other administrative procedures on arrival. The card issued will not have your address printed on it. Within 14 days you must go to your local ward office to complete the "Residence Card" registration.

Step 4: Work Permit

Permission to work under the resident status may be given at the port of entry to those students who are entering Japan for the first time and who are granted the status "Student".

Students who have obtained a work permit are allowed to work up to 28 hours per week. However, please note that Temple Law School regulations restrict full-time law students to working no more than 20 hours per week during the academic year.