Bridge Program Instructors
Academic English Program
Part time (semester-based contract)
Various (please refer to the schedule listed below)
This position is only available to applicants who are eligible to work in Japan (the position does not include visa sponsorship).
Salary & Benefits
In accordance with the pay scale determined and used in the program. Commensurate with experience.
Overview of Position
The Bridge Program is an entry-level university program for undergraduate students who need additional academic support. This position is for the following courses for the spring 2018 semester (January 15 – April 23):
- Academic Writing (various times, Mon, Wed, and Fri, or Tue and Thu):
This course helps students develop skills to be successful at the university-level for reading, writing, and critical thinking. Throughout the semester, students are assigned themed readings, which they critically examine and then discuss together. They also write 3 to 6 page-long essays based on these reading materials, using the writing techniques taught in the course.
- Bridge Tutorials (60-minute classes, various times Mon, Wed, and Fri):
These small-group sessions (3-4 students) are an opportunity to provide support for other courses and to give individual attention to academic skills development.
- Make and follow a syllabus and prepare class materials
- Teach classes and conference with students
- Give feedback on student work
- Attend instructor meetings and collaborate with other instructors
Qualifications & Experiences
- Native or native-like speaker of English
- Master's degree or higher is required; doctorate or ABD preferred
- More than two-years of university teaching experience; knowledge of the U.S. college system is preferred
- Prefer instructors who can continue to teach this course throughout the year
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please send applications to email@example.com with:
- a letter of application;
- full academic c.v.;
- contact information for two references.
Please indicate the title of the position you are applying for in the email subject box. Also, we would appreciate it very much if you could let us know from which website/resource you found out about this position.
Only those applicants who make it past the initial review will be contacted.