Instructor: Bridge, Special, and Evening Programs
Academic English Program
Monday to Friday 10:30-19:00 with occasional weekend work
Desired Starting Date
January 2018 (Spring semester 2018) or April 2018 (Summer semester 2018)
Temple University, Japan Campus (TUJ) is able to sponsor a visa for this position.
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience.
Eleven days paid vacation in the first year increasing to 20 days after 6 years of employment, plus 5 paid "personal and sick days" each year. Japanese social insurance and pension, commuting allowance, and tuition benefits for TUJ programs.
Overview of Position
This full-time instructor position will include both teaching in the Bridge Program and supporting some Special Programs and Evening courses in the Academic English Program (AEP) as an Assistant Academic Coordinator. The person in this position will work closely with the Director and Bridge and AEP Academic Coordinators. The Bridge Program is an entry-level university program for undergraduate students who need extra academic support. AEP Special Program and Evening courses are held in the evening or on some weekends or during vacation periods, so there will be some flexibility as to working days and hours.
Please see our Academic English Program home page and our About the Bridge Program (For Non-native English Speakers) page for more details.
- Teach 9-14 hours per week
- Teach reading-based writing and academic skills courses (discussion or grammar), or other courses
- Work as Assistant Academic Coordinator for AEP Special Programs and Evening Programs
Qualifications & Experience
- Fluent in English
- Hold at least a master's degree. Doctorate or ABD is preferred
- Experience teaching academic writing is necessary and experience teaching ESL content-based courses is preferred
- In addition to university teaching experience and knowledge of the American college system, some teaching experience at American or International high schools is preferred
- Team player with effective communication skills
Priority will be given to candidates who are already based in Japan
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- a letter of application;
- full academic c.v.;
- contact information for two references.
Please indicate the title of the position you are applying for in the email subject box. Also, we would appreciate it very much if you could let us know from which website/resource you found out about this position.
Only those applicants who make it past the initial review will be contacted.