Continuing to Job-Hunt after Graduation (Visa-sponsored Students Only)
In order to continue hunting for a job in Japan, you will need to apply for a change in your visa status, from "College Student" to "Designated Activities" status.
Obtaining a Recommendation Letter for Designated Activity Visa Application
You need a recommendation letter from the Career Development Office to apply for a Designated Activity Visa. In order for us to issue this recommendation letter, we need to verify that you have been actively searching for a job while you were a student. This is because the visa is limited to recent graduates who are continuing job hunting activities, rather than those who are starting their job search after graduating.
To be eligible to request a recommendation letter, you must have:
- successfully graduated from TUJ
- continuously applied for full-time jobs in Japan during your final semester (at least 3 full-time job applications each month)
Note: TUJ recommendation is discretionary and may be rejected if you have a history of academic or campus misconduct, a criminal record, or other notable trouble with university staff, faculty, or other students.
How to request a recommendation letter
- Download the Request for Letter of Recommendation for Job Hunting Visa below, or pick up paper copies at the Career Development Office.
- Read the instructions carefully and fill out the request forms.
- Submit the forms either as e-mail attachments or by bringing them to the Career Development Office. Please include as much evidence of your job hunting activities as possible. Attach copies of e-mail messages from companies to schedule interviews or notifying you of a rejection, screenshots of notifications that your online application has been submitted, etc.
- If you do not receive an e-mail confirming receipt of your Request for Letter of Recommendation for Job Hunting Visa (and attachments) within 24 hours, please contact the Career Development Office.
The Career Development Office cannot answer questions regarding the visa application itself. For a list of documents required for the application, please see the application information of Designated Activity Visa on the Ministry of Justice website. You can also contact the Immigration Bureau of Japan with questions regarding your application.